ClayB

Bears and buffalo and stuff

I haven't posted any pictures in a while because, well..... I just cant see to get anything finished up. Trying to come up with original stuff to work on instead of someone elses patterns is a LOT of work and I sure do make a lot of scrap leather. I think the buffalo feathers picture is done. I can't get a decent photo of it but here it is anyway. I think I might send it off to that show in April in Indiana.

temp_068__Large_.jpg

I did a tutorial on the buffalo feathers project and I think it's floating around in cyber space somewhere. Johanna probably pulls out handfulls of hair and bangs her head on the computer desk every time I send her something to work on. I bet she'd love to be able to do this to me somedays :comppunch:

I have also been working on a bigger version of the open mouthed bear I did a tutorial on last year. Somebody ( I wont name names here but she really carves a neat mule!) complained that the one I sent her was too little! So the latest version is 8X 10 and in color.

temporary_088__Large_.jpg

So far, so good. But when I put it in a frame, it looked boring. So I tried to think of some way to add a little something to it. My first idea was a matt that looked like tree bark. It ended up being a hole in a tree. The matt turned out pretty neat, but most of the people that have seen it asked "how did the bear get inside the tree?"

temporary_090__Large_.jpg

I had planned on adding some leaves to the tree to spice it up a little, but never got that far since most people didn't like the bear inside the tree. So then back to the drawing board. My next idea was to make a matt of carved leaves that looked like the bear was crashing out of the leaves. I started drawing this up, and my wife said it was going to be WAY too busy and take away from the bear, so she suggested just a couple sprays of leaves framing the bear. So I drew it up that way.

temporary__Large_.jpg

Well, my consulting team doesn't like that at all. They all think the bear will look cooler crashing out of the leaves. (they probably just want me to carve all those leaves so they can say "gee, that looks too busy". So I had another thought. How about a couple bear paws coming out of the leaves too, like he was clawing his way out (like Robb Barr's eagle). Yesterday I decided to see if I could make a bear paw. Here is what I came up with.

temp_086__Large_.jpgtemp_087__Large_.jpg

Well, after I got this finished, I realized that the paw is WAY to small for the bear's face so it's not going to work either. And, there is no way a paw the right size is going to fit on the picture. So, it's back to the drawing board again. Guess I'll work up a pattern of leaves for the bear to crash out of and see how that looks. I'm sure someone will sell me more leather if I run out, right??

post-12-1204218648_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204219686_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204219779_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204219988_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204221035_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204221135_thumb.jpg

HEY DID YOU ASK FOR PERMISSION TO USE THAT PICTURE OF MY OLD MAN???!!!!

Shirley

Just AWESOME work.

Thank you

I just assumed that since Guido gave it to me, I had permission to use it. If he has a problem, tell him to take it up with Guido!! The cake was yummy, btw!

I just assumed that since Guido gave it to me, I had permission to use it. If he has a problem, tell him to take it up with Guido!! The cake was yummy, btw!

I'll have to have Luigi straighten out Guido. God knows what other pictures he has.

Nice work by the way. I love the bear paws.

Shirley

beautiful work clay, i love the bear paws too

your work is great I really like the bears face and the paws look pretty real looking to me. is there a way to make the bear picture bigger meaning to include more of his head. Very nice work!

Thanks Regis and Roo for your comments.

Shirley, I tried to get pictures of you from Guido too, but he had this sledge hammer and was looking at my kneecaps and I decided to drop it.

Skip, the bear face is painted and sealed and was done on too small a piece of leather to do much more with it anyway. I really need to learn to figure out whole pictures before I start out. One way or another, I'll figure out a way to make this work out.

The bear is amazing. I don't think it needs leaves, though I do have a strong urge to see a bee or two flying around. LOL!

MAN, theese pictures are truly amazing!

About your composition problems I'd suggest scavenging photoforums and naturephotography sites for bear and animal images if you need to get thoose creative juices flowing, not that you seem to lack of them but the main issue to work with in photography is composition I think so it might come in handy for you.

Tom

So where is the tutorial on doing the bear claws???/

:whistle:

Thank you Melody and Tom. I spent the better part of 3 days carving and coloring leaves to surround the bear, and hated that when I was done too, so the bear is back on the pile of unfinished things waiting for the next round of inspiration to come along. Bees have been suggested, but that's sounds like more of a challenge than I am looking for right now.

Anne, no tutorial on the bear paws. I really had no idea what I was doing or how it was going to turn out, so I didn't take any pictures. I have some ideas for a picture that would have the 3D bear paws on it. If I ever get started on it, I'll try and take some picutres of how it goes, no promises though. Sometimes it's really hard to remember to stop and take pictures when things are going good.

How can I have missed this topic so toally?

Awesome pictures Clay, I simply love the paw, very realistic:-)