YRsaddles

need to replace my cutting table surface

Hey everyone,

Anyone know a supplier that makes a cutting surface that comes (4 foot by 8 foot) sheets or bigger? I'm looking to replace the one I have on my cutting table. the company I got it from in NC is no longer in business. I need something that won't dull my round knives. I can't seem to find anything on the web.

Dave

Edited by YRsaddles

You might check at menards or lowes some builders and cabinet makers by that stuff by the 4 x 8 sheets. Depends on what you are using but you can take a belt sander to some of those surfaces to smooth them out.

Edited by rgerbitz

Dave,

Here's another place that sells HDPE (if that's what your looking for). I have used them before. Of course if you can find a local dealer it would help with shipping.

Interstate Plastics

There is also LDPE. If I remember right from my manufacturing days there is only 3-5% difference in the density rating. I think that the HDPE os 0.95 or 0.96 whereas the LDPE is 0.91 or 0.92. I can't remember exactly.

Regards,

Ben

My father in law used 1/4" slabs of rubber as his cutting/punching surface. Would that work? I'm not sure where he got his, but here's a quick link I googled...

http://www.aerorubber.com/sheet.htm

Brent

Dave, what works well here is "Puck board" it comes in a 4x8 sheet and is available in various thicknesses. It's cheap too. I've been using it for years and it lasts along time. The head knife doesn't dull using it or dig into it much making it hard to push. Google search for it to find a supplier in your area. It shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks a sheet.

Bob

David,

How do you like the polymax from farmtek? Also, how big of a sheet did you get and was it expensive to ship. I was thinking about getting a 4x8 sheet of the polyethylene in 1/2" but would consider the 1/4" if it wears well.

thanks

ryan