I did a search for this, got some hits, but didn't see a definitive answer (maybe there isn't one).

I've been making 1-1/2" belts from a side I bought. I've been cutting the belts out with a strap cutter. I end up with straps that are about 72" long, but for the belts I probably don't need a strap longer than 55". I end up with a lot of waste.

I was wondering, from a best practices standpoint, if people cut the neck/front leg section off so there's an extra piece of leather for other work. My max strap length for that hide would only be 55". I may cut a couple 72" long straps when I first get a hide so I could have a couple long straps handy.

Just curious about best practices on efficient use of the leather.

Edited by Day Dreamer

I consider up to a 50" center 'normal' and size my back at 60", leaving the neck for holsters or whatever else I'm working on. If someone needs a belt longer there is a surcharge attached, and I order another hide from the tannery. If they are lined belts you can size your lining hide shorter if you stop the lining at the fold for the buckle.

While I've been able to put the scraps to use a lot of times I'd prefer to just not have it at all. My average belt is 40" so that still leaves a good bit of waste on every strap.

I found this old post and thought I'd bring it back up.  One mans junk is anothers treasure for sure!

Take you "scrap" and make a holster.  After that, use the left over for key fobs.  After that use the rest to fill boot soles, etc,etc.

I bought some "scrap" from a chap maker.  Great background for filigree cut leather.  Make your belt loops outa your straps.  Make plain belt loops and sell them.  Tandy does.  Got a blemish on the backside, if you can't use it as intended, run it through a splitter and make a wallet.  I made some drink coasters for a car dealer and then got an order from her for key fobs.

What is scrap!  Hell, to a guy who wants beef, leather is a scrap!

Kevin 

There is a great video from Don Gonzales on sectioning off a side. I think he lays out the middle for strap belt length and the cuts the butt off for portfolios, and I can't remember the rest.

I used sides just about exclusively for everything. When a new order of sides came in I would lay them out on the work table and make some measurements to lay out my belt straps in various lengths. I started at the middle portion of the side, with straps laid out on a diagonal from back to belly, then cut 6 or 8 straps from each new side (in lengths appropriate to make belts in the usual sizes with minimal waste). The remaining two pieces of the side went on to become holsters, magazine pouches, cartridge pouches, handcuff pouches, etc.

Just about all of my belts were two-layers of leather, usually 2 X 6/7 oz or 7/8 outer with 6/7 liner. Any straps with minor blemishes became the lining layers, keeping the more perfect straps for the exposed outer layers.

When constructing a new two-layer belt I reversed the straps, with the back-end of one strap laid over the belly-end of the liner strap. This evens out the finished thickness without a lot of skiving, splitting, etc. Cement them securely together then stitch them up.

Belts used to carry a holstered handgun and accessories can be subjected to a lot of stress. Single-layer belts, even when cut from the heavier leather, will frequently start to show significant wear in a year or so of daily use. My two-layer belts are much stronger and stretch much less. The one I am wearing today is about ten years old, has been used to carry a full-size .45 caliber 1911 pistol, spare magazine, and cell phone pouch daily, and shows no signs of ever wearing out.

I order backs... so I'm starting out with NO BELLY LEATHER.  (*On occasion, I have purchased sides and offered the belly leather at cost, but those who "like" bellies seem slow to pay for them, so I usually pass).

Then when they arrive, I measure about 60" from the butt end, and cut across the side, separating the bend from the shoulder.  Bends become belts, and shoulders become.. other stuff ;)

If at some point I need to make a belt longer than a size 50, I just cut from another side, which you can do along the spine of a side (up to about a size 72 or so, which I have never been asked to make) before cutting off the 60" bend.

If I cut off and "waste" 8-10" on the end, I just get over it.  Sometimes my little girl and her friends make bracelets.  Sometimes it goes in a box so I can store it and go through it every so often like anything else that's in the way, before pitching it out because there's too much of it.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I order backs... so I'm starting out with NO BELLY LEATHER.  (*On occasion, I have purchased sides and offered the belly leather at cost, but those who "like" bellies seem slow to pay for them, so I usually pass).

I was never slow to pay, but I am just now doing a wallet with a belly I got from you before you moved. Lol

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I was never slow to pay, but I am just now doing a wallet with a belly I got from you before you moved. Lol

True... and if somebody can use it, I got no problem gittin' it ;)

In fact, if a fella was 'hassle free' about takin' some, could end up with some more down the road WITHOUT payin' !

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

True... and if somebody can use it, I got no problem gittin' it ;)

In fact, if a fella was 'hassle free' about takin' some, could end up with some more down the road WITHOUT payin' !

Keep me in mind, I'll even pay. Your scrap has been plenty good enough for my projects.

3 hours ago, Book3445 said:

Looking for my husband leather portfolios

Am lost.  How does this relate to the OP's topic?

YinTx

It's a trick - to get you to go to his site.

and I fell for it

Just another finished goods seller spamming us

9 hours ago, Book3445 said:

Looking for my husband leather portfolios  Reviewed a lot of information on the Internet, I can 't pick up. Look for help. Give up the examples.https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-leather-portfolios/

If you are really looking for help, start a new thread in the appropriate sections of the forum.  Don't goo off topic and contaminate threads like you did here.

If you are spamming us, you will soon be blocked.

Tom

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:55 AM, bikermutt07 said:

There is a great video from Don Gonzales on sectioning off a side. I think he lays out the middle for strap belt length and the cuts the butt off for portfolios, and I can't remember the rest.

I was going to point this one out.  he cuts sholders and neck off first.  he cuts off the butt making sure to leave the center (back towards belly) about 60" anything longer than that he has a hide put up that he takes the long belts out of.  

I think this is mostly right, probably better to go watch the video 

If the waste is ends cut off straps, cut them to a standard length, like 3 or 4" and lace them together end to end using a cross stitch to make a belt.  Then punch and lace the whole belt.  Can mix and match colours too if you are so inclined.

Tom