bryans

Two Tone Dyeing

i am new to leather i just started learning it while i was at a blind school in austin and was wanting to know what was the best way to get a clean line when you are doing two tone dyeing on a rifle sling i seen this sling on ebay and wanted to make one that is similar to it any help would be appreciated. $(KGrHqN,!pME7Bcvg3EHBO-eugUMpQ~~60_57.JPG

Look into block dyeing. Just takes practice.

how about painters tape would that work i was thinking about that but i wasn't sure what it would do to the leather.

i thought this place would be a good place to get help but i guess i was wrong ill make sure not to look to this place for help ever again thanks for all the help with one single post yall are so helpful

bryans just a thought here but...... flying off the handle a bit early there, not everyone checks every post everyday. Plus not everyone knows the answer. I will offer you a way that will work to give you a straight line with a rapid fade for an edge. Hold a piece of poster board with a straight edge raised slightly off the surface(the farther off the wider the fade) and airbrush your color on.

how about painters tape would that work i was thinking about that but i wasn't sure what it would do to the leather.

Bryans. Not all of us got here by asking Questions we got here by Trial & Error.and then Sharing

why dont you try the Painters tape and then you can tell us how it worked.

Somme times one need first hand information,Do you live close to a Tandy store ?

They have knowledgeable people working there and i do beleive you would get the help that you need.....I M H O...........

DONT!!!!!!!!!!! Use painters tape. It will leave a mark on the leather. It will also leave glue behind. Go to Tandy and buy the $10 finishing book.meI not only explains all of the dyes, antiques and finishes, but how to acheive certain effects. Block dying is covered in this book. Now apologize and try some on your own. Let us know how it works.

Jon

bryans just a thought here but...... flying off the handle a bit early there, not everyone checks every post everyday. Plus not everyone knows the answer. I will offer you a way that will work to give you a straight line with a rapid fade for an edge. Hold a piece of poster board with a straight edge raised slightly off the surface(the farther off the wider the fade) and airbrush your color on.

i was not flyng off the handle i was stating a fact sorry if it sounded like i was

Bryans. Not all of us got here by asking Questions we got here by Trial & Error.and then Sharing

why dont you try the Painters tape and then you can tell us how it worked.

Somme times one need first hand information,Do you live close to a Tandy store ?

They have knowledgeable people working there and i do beleive you would get the help that you need.....I M H O...........

no sadly i do not i do love the people at tandy leather in austin they were always very helpful and even were going to come up to our blind school to teach us some basic leather work but sadly i had to leave before they did so i had just learned by trial and error

DONT!!!!!!!!!!! Use painters tape. It will leave a mark on the leather. It will also leave glue behind. Go to Tandy and buy the $10 finishing book.meI not only explains all of the dyes, antiques and finishes, but how to acheive certain effects. Block dying is covered in this book. Now apologize and try some on your own. Let us know how it works.

Jon

thanks for the help cause i probably would have not been able to see the glue that stayed there and then got frustrated when it didn't come out right

It looks like a mix of block dyeing and brushwork? You can see where the block (or possibly a sponge brush or dauber) accidentally dyed the background along the scallops at the upper right.

If I was to make something similar, I'd first start by dyeing the entire strap that tan color that surrounds the lettering. I'd block dye or brush dye the edges the darker red-brown, then use a fine brush to dye the words black. The wolf stamps would be sort of dry brushed with the same red-brown as the sides to add more color. I'd then resist the entire strap, and when dry, antique the strap to darken the imprints around the wolf and the scallops along the sides, then seal and finish.

It looks like a mix of block dyeing and brushwork? You can see where the block (or possibly a sponge brush or dauber) accidentally dyed the background along the scallops at the upper right.

If I was to make something similar, I'd first start by dyeing the entire strap that tan color that surrounds the lettering. I'd block dye or brush dye the edges the darker red-brown, then use a fine brush to dye the words black. The wolf stamps would be sort of dry brushed with the same red-brown as the sides to add more color. I'd then resist the entire strap, and when dry, antique the strap to darken the imprints around the wolf and the scallops along the sides, then seal and finish.

well i wasn't going to go as far as the person did with the coloring in the 3d stamp and i have the fancy letters i tried to do something with them but it is hard for me to see the small areas so it doesn't come out good but i will try the rest of what yall have said im going to get some practice pieces first before i start on the real thing.

Try just block dyeing or just antiquing then?

For block dyeing, you'd dye the whole item a lighter color, then when it's dry, you use a cloth with a darker wrapped around a block of wood and wipe it across. The darker dye will stay out of the crevices around the stamps and dye everything else.

For antiquing, you'd either leave the leather a natural color or dye it, and then top it with a resist. When the resist is dry, you wipe antiquing gel or dye into the stamp marks and wipe it off the high parts. The darker antique settles into the crevices.

I do this a lot!!!!!!!!

No Antique!

Just a few brushes and get to work:)

All the colors then add the black last.

I work from light to dark. I use alcohol to thin the dye to get a lighter shade. (add water for water based dyes/stains) You can always add more layers to get it darker. Getting dye to go lighter once it is applied is not so easy. There are hobby airbrushes in the craft section of stores that sell plastic model kits (cars airplanes boats, etc.) these are pretty cheap, but will do the job. Ideally, you should look for a double-action airbrush. A double-action means that you control the amount of air and the amount of media that is released through the nozzle. When you select your airbrush, choose one that accepts bottles with lids, don't go for the little cup to hold dye/paint, because you will spill onto your leather and get frustrated after all the hard work you put into the piece.

I no longer have an airbrush, but I do two tone dying with rags made from old t-shirts. You sort of buff the dye on starting from the edge and working your way to center. This controls how much dye is applied. Start by collecting dye onto a dauber and then rubbing it onto paper. the paper absorbs some of the dye. Rub your rag onto the paper to collect a small amount of dye. Then use the rag to buff the dye onto the leather. It takes some practice to get the feel of how the process works, but it can be learned in a few minutes.

Good luck to you! If this process doesn't work for you, try something else. There is more than one way to skin a cat and there are lots of cats to practice on. :evillaugh:

well thanks for the help everybody i did yalls tips and i think it came out pretty good here is a piece that i tried it on

post-31538-032228000 1337915322_thumb.jp

Just catching up with this thread ....

Actually painters masking tape CAN be used! The type needed is Scotch blue. Adhesive residue can be avoided by removing the tape as soon as possible after dying. If there is any residue, wait until your dye is completely dry, then carefully wipe with a little Eucalyptus oil on a rag. If this is unattainable use a small drop of White Spirits. Wipe rather than rub if it is on a previously dyed area, so as to not remove the dye.

Enjoy your new hobby!

Lois

I was about to ask how to do this but, it sounds like block dyeing might be the answer. If so is it really that easy? A t-shirt and a piece of 2x4? Do the red first and then just put the black on like a stamp and an ink pad?

Thanks,

Ray

post-26842-012355100 1340081967_thumb.jp

Edited by ENC

I was about to ask how to do this but, it sounds like block dyeing might be the answer. If so is it really that easy? A t-shirt and a piece of 2x4? Do the red first and then just put the black on like a stamp and an ink pad?

Thanks,

Ray

well i messed with it and for me the best way was to put the black dye on with a brush and then put the sheen over it and dye the rest of it.