As a general rule, do most leathercrafters stain and seal the flesh side/inside of belts or leave completely natural. I've hunted around the forum quite a bit and it seems there's no generally accepted way of doing it. My short leather crafting career thus far has been muzzleloader possibles bags and holsters, and I was figuring belts would be pretty straight forward but I'm finding out they're not necessarily. Just my opinion, but I'm thinking stained and sealed, or possibly even lined with a 2-3 oz strap of cowhide or other lining leather would look best but I really don't know for sure. I bought the Stohlman book Belts Galore but there isn't much info on lining or finishing the inside. In the section on dying belts black it states to be careful not to get dye on the backside of the belt so maybe that implies the flesh side should be left natural. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks, Gene

I dye all the insides of my belts, and then use Tan-Kote for the finish --- has worked well for me so far...

My belts are all snaked through the dip dye tank after they are fully assembled, . . . sewn, . . . burnished, . . . punched.

I then re-burnish the edges, . . . apply the final sealer (mostly Resolene), . . . polish and send.

If it has to be a natural inner liner, . . . I accomplish that by dying only the outside piece, . . . then assembling the 2 layer belt. Two layer belts are the only ones I make.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Dwight - you do some great work!

Gene

I always dye and finish the backsided of belts. Like Tramps I use Tan-Kote then burnish down the fuzzies like on this tool belt made of 14 ounce leather.

Belt05_zps8dec4f06.jpg

Otherwise I'll stitch a liner on and finish both sides.

chip5_zpsaa059cb9.jpg