leaky5

Thread Advice

Normally for sheaths and pouches I would use blunt needles and 0.75-1mm waxed thread and cut a stitch groove.

I am making a bag for my OH and I want to try and make the stitching as neat as possible. So this time I was not planning to cut a groove and was hoping to use a thinner thread and smaller sharper needles that would maybe cut it into the leather slightly as pulled tight.

Can anyone recommend a thread that might be good for this ?

Thanks
Richard

Richard, have you considered using a sharp diamond awl rather than sharper needles? It would help with a neat consistent line of stitching. Not sure about any thread cutting into the leather as it's pulled tight.. though that could be the effect I suppose. Good luck.

Doug C

In the chap work I've repaired and fixed in the last couple of years, . . . the upholstery thread sold at JoAnn's fabric shop has been super.

A spool of it is only a couple of bucks, . . . and it comes in many different colors.

May God bless,

Dwight

Barbours thread or some coloured irish linen 4 ply. I would in this case groove, pricking iron or overstitch in the groove and use an awl.

Keep in mind a sheath has a lot of stress and some people do groove for added security. Not 100 percent necessary but gives some extra protection.

Rather than do a full cut grove I may just run a creaser down it just to give a small indented line. Then I might try some small Glovers needles and suitable thread, I will have a practice on some spare leather first.