Wicked Welts

Snaps With No Snap!

I'm among the many that have struggled mightily with setting snaps by hand and although I think I'm getting the hang of it, I still have an issue that I can't seem to figure out. With all snap pieces seated and sitting tight and square, I'm left with most of the snaps having little holding power. These are regular #24 snaps from various local hardware/fabric stores, all are of the typical cheap import quality and I'm wondering if maybe they have an issue with the snap ring size or shape of the button head? Most don't make a *snap* sound at all when opened or closed and all but the best feeling snaps seem too eager to pop open. Some will release wit the slightest twist of the strap and some with nothing more than a teeny bump to the end of the strap they are holding. I tried a few tests by reshaping/flaring the male side of the snap with hopes that would put more pressure on the snap ring but no luck.

I'm convinced that I will eventually need to get a pressnsnap or goldstar setter for these but really don't use snaps enough to justify the purchase of a real press at this time. So, among other things, I'm wondering if just changing to a 'name brand' (Dot etc) snap might make all the difference in holding power ?

As difficult as most of us find setting snaps, I'd get this best quality you can find. I had the same problem when I started of none snapping snaps. Practice cured this plus watching a youtube video on them over and over. Cheryl

where are you getting them from? i use tandy's snaps and have never had a problem with their holding power or "snap". in fact, at times, i've thought they were a bit too aggressive.

I got the snaps from several local places. Some came from the hardware store, the rest from different craft or fabric type stores like Hobby Lobby, Joann's etc. I believe the brand names on them were their respective house or store brands and not having much in the way of choices, I didn't give it much thought when buying. That will change soon though, I'll try some from Tandy or Dot and pray that it's a product issue and not operator error, again....gggrrrrrr....

Thanks.

some of the stuff i get from tandy is cheaply made. i think the snaps are the exception.

Thanks for mentioning that exception. I'm normally leery about this stuff in general, including Tandy's, but I made the mistake of assuming that all snaps are pretty much the same.

Edited by Wicked Welts

I had a ton of trouble with all snaps, from Line 24s to glove snaps, until I stopped tapping them aggressively hard. Lighter taps are the secret,. Watch the curl of the hollow stem and make sure it mushrooms evenly. If you drive them too aggressively they will bend and deform. Try light blows, if you already haven't. It has worked for me.

jr

I had a ton of trouble with all snaps, from Line 24s to glove snaps, until I stopped tapping them aggressively hard. Lighter taps are the secret,. Watch the curl of the hollow stem and make sure it mushrooms evenly. If you drive them too aggressively they will bend and deform. Try light blows, if you already haven't. It has worked for me.

jr

You beat me to it, but you are 100% corrrect. I use the Tandy Sega snaps and light taps is the key. When installed like this they "Snap" very securely

I already switched to the lighter "tap-tap-tap" program after reading about it on here but I'll test a few more to see if there's some improvement to be had with that part of it. Also, I already switched to using a rock solid base underneath and after looking into the Segma snaps just now, I saw another recommendation (off-site) that mentions trying a brass hammer instead of the usual leatherworker's mallets. I know I have a brass hammer around here somewhere so I'll try that too but regardless of all this, getting better snaps is at the top of the list for sure.

Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated and any other ideas are welcome too.

A press makes it easy for setting snaps.

You want to see a nice rolled top on the stem.

I use DOT snaps as well.

After an breif search I think Dot brand is the way to go. Nothing against the Tandy stuff but I only see the Segma in #16 and I would prefer 20 or 24 sizes and really want to try Dot's standard snaps anyway. So at risk of sounding lazy, I would appreciate any shortcuts to point me at a reputable source for Dot snaps that does not require a buying large lot. Thanks.

I use C.S. Osborne snaps, I have no complaints...

I've been using the Tandy snaps all along, and have had no problems with them. Using a snap setter with the proper dies makes them easier to set than by hand to be sure. However, I recently bought some of the new colors .. antique brass and antique nickel I think. I'm NOT happy that Tandy has their name plastered on every piece of the snap other than the cap. It's time to buy them from somebody else.

Bill

I too struggled with setting snaps by hand. I tried the light tap tap tap method and it was not working for me. I put heavy downward pressure on the tool and use one hard strike to set the snap. I came on this by trial and error. I get the perfect curl on the hollow tube every time now, and the snaps set straight no slightly crooked. Just what works for me. I know it is different for everyone.

Finally an update;

I decided to wait until I needed to restock some stuff from Tandy and got some of their line 24 snaps. Problem solved, I now have snaps that go SNAP!

Thanks for all the suggestion, I'm planning to try some other brands in the future but for now these get it done.

:spoton:

I buy a lot of snaps and rivets from here. http://www.stecksstore.com/ Ships fast and answers email fast. Just great service.

I use an arbor press whenever possible, as I am just not too good setting these things using a hammer.

Certainly, the quality of snaps does also make a big difference. I have a small box of unusable cheap snaps that go on great, but also have no 'snap' to them