wlg190861

Dog Collar Spikes/question

I am looking for stainless steel collar spikes. Do they make stainless steel spikes and if so where can I find them. Looking for 1" spikes.

Thank you

Dan

post-39507-0-32815200-1425059546_thumb.j

Can't say I've seen Stainless Steel. We produce that spike in Zinc cast (never rust). Strong 8-32 thread . www.sxindustries.com

I go to your website an fill out form for a catalog & price list an I push send an all I get is ( 404 Error page )

check out ohio travel bag they carry spikes

how ever im not sure what they are constructed from

we make make them in zinc alloy or brass,in face,it can make with steel too, but the price expensive.

we are manufacturer of harware for leather/textile in china, please tell me how many pcs you want, sale@kingcamry.com

Dan,

Got your PM and will rush catalog with samples today !

Thanks!

Tim

www.sxindustries.com

I've ordered from studsandspikes.com before. Huge selection, much larger than your typical leather supply, but no stainless. Nickel over brass I believe.

A plated product is going to be inferior where abrasion occurs. It would be simple to machine spikes from rod stock on a lathe. Zinc and brass (which is copper and zinc) would definitely be easier to machine which is why those materials are most likely to be found. With the right tool, you could machine stainless steel spikes. Stainless steel would be the best white metal. It won't take or keep the polish of nickel-plate with chrome, but it will last longer.

There are different alloys of stainless steel. 304 (also called 18/8) is easy to machine, highly corrosion resistant, readily accepts a polish, and is easy to find. With 304 rod, use a carbide cutter and a pattern or cnc program to turn out spikes on a lathe.

With that said, I have to say I despise the aesthetic of spiked collars. I understand they had a practical purpose to protect unsupervised livestock protection dogs from wolves, but that is hardly ever their purpose today. They are poor protection for a modern pet or working dog which should be supervised and protected from attacks from other dogs by the handler. It is more a matter of my subjective opinion, but I hate wide leather collars with or without spikes. I think the wide collars are uncomfortable and inhibit mobility, and leather is an unsanitary material for collars.

I hope you're going to use the horrid things on a human collar and not a dog collar. Cheryl