Hi All,

I am having a lot of recent issues setting some Line 20 Snaps with my hand held setters. I recently bought some Gun Metal Black snaps from Springfield Leather. I have had nothing but problems trying to set them by hand. All of my posts bend at sharp angles despite careful setting technique. The result is misaligned button snaps which do not function properly, look terrible, and have to be removed. This is marring up my projects and making me a crazy man.

I compared these snaps against some nickel plated Tandy snaps I have. These Tandy snaps have been setting and functioning with zero issues. I believe I have found the problem: the Gun Metal Black snaps have 2 slits cut out of the base near the post. This means the post has different levels of support at different angles which is causing the post to bend to the side that is offering less support when setting pressure is applied. The results are these crooked snaps. See the side by side picture for comparison (slightly blurry sell phone picture, you;ve been warned :)). The Gun Metal Snap is on the left, the Nickel Plated Tandy Snap is on the right:

post-43578-0-66674900-1426188292_thumb.j

As much as I would like a snap setting press or tool, they are out of my price range. The alternative and easier option is to find some higher quality snaps. Can anyone recommend a source for or a specific brand of higher quality snaps in Gun Metal Gray or Black colorations? Specifically Line 20 and Line 24 varieties?

We produce both. Send me a PM with your contact info and I will be happy to send you samples to test.

Tim,

Thanks for the offer, I'll give your stuff a look. PM'd you my info for samples.

Anyone else have any feeedback on my original post?

How much of the post is protruding past the point you want it to set?

You should have about 3/32".

Blasted snaps! I went to a custom bootmaker's site which was recommended to me for viewing a good snap tutorial. Unfortunately, that leatherworker had removed her tutorial on the subject. The basics of how much post should protrude when selecting snaps for varying thickness of leather and how tight the holes should be for inserting the post through adds to variables in success and failure of a seemingly simple task. I'm fairly certain I first mistakenly tried to set snaps in leather that was far too tight for the post to fan out when tapping the two snap pieces together. (Keep in mind that my products were being made using the best US skirting leather, not flimsier craft weight, so it took me a while to realize one of my problems was that simple.) I'm still seeking the right snaps for the job and this was supposed to be my easily made product line, not a nightmare project!

Ohio Travel Bag has Line 20 snaps with both short (4/32") and long (7/2") barrels. A longer barrel may help you.

TIMCO now SX

I am also looking for a new snap supplier. I make small leather bracelets/cuffs that I rivet my metalwork to. I am using the goldstartool setter and their ligne 20 snaps. Things seemed to be going well but now I'm getting complaints from customers that their bracelets fall off too easily. I have tried different color snaps -- some work better than others. The problem is sporadic and unpredictable, but I can't make a living selling crappy stuff that falls apart.

This is not cool. Some of my bracelets include metal decorations in sawn/riveted metals and sterling silver. Some are $75 and more. I do not want to start replacing bracelets! I have an account with Ohio Travel Bag but have no idea of their quality, and it sounds like you manufacture snaps also? Samples would be wonderful, but I don't know how to contact you or order. I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm not going about this the right way.

I would be happy to help out:

Send your details to: tim@sxindustries.com

The gun metal snap post is slightly longer on your picture and I think that is a more likely cause to your problem. One way to counter the problem would be to make and use a leather washer. There is also a snap fastener setter tool that CS Osbourne are making (around 25-30 USD) that is cheaper than a dedicated snap setter press. If you use that with an arbor press you will basically never fail - as long as the length of the snap post is suitable for the thickness of the leather.

post-11002-0-45228100-1431337238_thumb.j

Edited by ConradPark

I have seen vintage snaps that had those slots which are to receive barbs that are on the inside of the socket or stud. It appeared to be designed to give a little better hold in canvas. Saw those barbed pieces in a bin at an old saddle shop 20+ years ago. Never seen them since. Those snap caps may be a re-used design.