Toolster

Setting Segma Snaps?

Is there a "trick" I'm not aware of for setting Segma snaps? I would like to use them to secure buckles on smaller belts but they don't hold very well. I own several "factory" belts with similar snaps (I'm using Tandy snaps/setter) and they hold great. Is there a way to tighten them up? Maybe it's the Tandy snaps........ :feedback:

They can be a pain to get right every time without the use of a proper press.

Is there a "trick" I'm not aware of for setting Segma snaps? I would like to use them to secure buckles on smaller belts but they don't hold very well. I own several "factory" belts with similar snaps (I'm using Tandy snaps/setter) and they hold great. Is there a way to tighten them up? Maybe it's the Tandy snaps........ :feedback:

They changed the snaps - and the setter - a good while back, and didn't do it very well. Basically, the tip that goes INTO the female (cap) end is too big (around). The bigger diameter 'blows out' the cap, so it won't stay seated.

Went through this with a Tandy manager a while back. Since the snaps changed, my setter wouldn't work. Guy says you need the NEW setter. So I bought the new set - which still didn't work. Finally I went to the store, got a pack of snaps and a setter off the shelf, paid for both, and then told him to show me how that works and handed him the BRAND NEW snaps and setter - which didn't work.

Fortunately, I had an old setter that worked. BUT, I order snaps somewhere else usually, and they are NOT the same. Yeah, I know .. .it get's weird.

SO THEN -- try taking some sand paper or other coarse stuff to the setter that goes in the cap. If you have a lathe or drill press to stick it in and spin it, that would be faster. Sneak it down a bit and test every so often until you get the fit you want. BAD NEWS THEN, with Tandy, be prepared to have your NEXT batch of snaps be too tight, because you altered the setter and the snaps arent the same as the last batch!