Sign in to follow this  
woody2shoes

Newbie From Down Under

Hi everyone, my name is Teresa and I live in Australia in a small country town. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this forum since stumbling across it. I am a little overawed by the quality of work being shown on here :notworthy: but hopefully, in time, I might be able to produce something nice enough to use or maybe give away as gifts or even sell to someone.

I am passionate about my dogs (field trial labs and show whippets) and have had horses most of my life so leather goods just seem to go hand in hand with these hobbies. I've always loved quality leather collars and leads and have owned some lovely horse gear. It's my interest in showing whippets that has finally inspired me to stop admiring and actually have a go at making some of these items for myself, specifically sighthound collars and braided/beaded show leads. I've just ordered some tools and goods online and once they arrive, there will be no stopping me for good or bad!

I look forward to asking lots of questions and hope that there will be plenty of feedback to help me along. :helpsmilie:

Cheers!

Teresa

Hi Tresa, their several really good braiders here for sure and several members from Australia to. Look forward to seeing your work.

Hi everyone, my name is Teresa and I live in Australia in a small country town. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this forum since stumbling across it. I am a little overawed by the quality of work being shown on here :notworthy: but hopefully, in time, I might be able to produce something nice enough to use or maybe give away as gifts or even sell to someone.

I am passionate about my dogs (field trial labs and show whippets) and have had horses most of my life so leather goods just seem to go hand in hand with these hobbies. I've always loved quality leather collars and leads and have owned some lovely horse gear. It's my interest in showing whippets that has finally inspired me to stop admiring and actually have a go at making some of these items for myself, specifically sighthound collars and braided/beaded show leads. I've just ordered some tools and goods online and once they arrive, there will be no stopping me for good or bad!

I look forward to asking lots of questions and hope that there will be plenty of feedback to help me along. :helpsmilie:

Cheers!

Teresa

Hi Terasa

I'm Ron from out in the bush in NSW .. Nice to see another aussie . although I'm not an expert , I'm here if you need anything mate..

Ron

Hi Dirtclod, it will be a while before I am game to put photos of anything on here (I am very new to all this) but I hope I will have something worth showing one day.

Hi Ron! A fellow Aussie...awesome! I was worried I might be the only one on here :P Great to meet you! We live on the Vic/NSW border. I'd love to know where you source your leather and tools if you have somewhere you can recommend?

Cheers!

Edited by woody2shoes

Look up member " Leatheroo" (Caroline). She's also down there in Oz, and has posted some very good info on where to get things.

Hi teresa and welcome....looking forward to seeing some of your work. As for supplies, i really like Leffler in melbourne, their website is like a dogs breakfast, but you can get their catalogue sent to you. Their roo lacing is very nice and their morgan oak tooling leather is very clean. Another one to check out is

http://birdsall-leather.com.au/home.php I get my water based dyes from them. Both these suppliers are very quick with their delivery.

Please ask if you have any questions.

cheers for now

caroline

PS almost forgot...there is now a Tandy in sydney, but i haven't ordered from them yet.

Hi Dirtclod, it will be a while before I am game to put photos of anything on here (I am very new to all this) but I hope I will have something worth showing one day.

Hi Ron! A fellow Aussie...awesome! I was worried I might be the only one on here :P Great to meet you! We live on the Vic/NSW border. I'd love to know where you source your leather and tools if you have somewhere you can recommend?

Cheers!

Teresa.

We love that country down your area , I get all my gear from { http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au/en-aud/home/home.aspx } I joined their elite club and get around 30% off most stuff . they are fast and very polite as well helpful . They have a free call number you can call to ask questions , Tell em Ron from Mudgee sent ya lol . I have just put a handbag into our local show and got 2nd prize .. Send me an email and we can keep in touch ronnbarb9@bigpond.com .

I used to deal with Birdsalls but found they buy from Tandy then sell it to you, so you know what that means hey. They gotta get a bite of the cherry too .. So I've cut out the middle man .

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron and Caroline! Thanks for getting back to me. I've been a bit snowed under at home/work so only just managing to send some replies during my lunchbreak.

I've ordered a few things from Tandy Ron and they arrived on Monday. Just waiting on my braiding book now which is currently out of stock. :head_hurts_kr: Otherwise, I am very happy with what I have so far. Just have to learn how to use the tools properly. :rolleyes:

I will be sure to email you in the near future Ron as I know I will have loads more questions especially about how to recognise good leather and what's best to order. It's not as simple as you think, that's for sure.

Congrats on your 2nd prize! Wooo hooo! Is there a picture of it anywhere so I can take a look?

Caroline, I had a look at your blog and wow!!!!! I am in awe of your work. LOVE your masks!!!!! Gorgeous. :wub: I have had a good look at Lefflers and I have to agree. Their website is not very user friendly but I did manage to find their roo thonging so will no doubt order some as they have a great range of colours.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Teresa

Hi there Teresa,

Welcome to the best resource on the Web for leatherworkers. You will be surprised just how many members come from OZ. I live on the NSW Central Coast and have been thumping dead cow skins since 1964. I started off my journey into leatherwork braiding lanyards for fellow crewmen on the ships I served on in the R.A.N. There are some excellent books available on the subject. You mentioned that the book you ordered from Tandy is out of stock. If you contact Tracy at Birdsall's you may find that she has the series of braiding books by Ron Edwards. These are well illustrated and easy to follow. There are a number of suppliers that I use depending on what i need at the time. I can give you details if you contact me through my website (listed in my profile). I am retired and have plenty of time to talk about leatherwork so feel free to contact me at any time.

Regards,

TapTapTap

Hey Teresa. I've bought a lot of my stuff from EBayer "stecksstore". I have to agree with Ron. Birdsalls are helpful (and for me at least are convenient) but frustratingly its almost always cheaper to have it shipped from the US. FWIW the guy who runs its, Bruce, has always done right by me.

I'm also a fan of leffler. If you find yourself in Sydney, Leatherco has a large range of leather.http://www.leatherco.com.au/707 Elizabeth St

Waterloo NSW 2017

T: 02 9319 2900

Cheers