Sign in to follow this  
15mules

Hello From Arkansas

Well, as the title says. I am new to this forum and from Arkansas. I have been reading some post on and off for a while, and honestly just never joined because I did not think I had much advice to offer. Still not sure I do? I do have questions though! I have a gun shop Muleman Gunworks Inc. and I sell a few mules. I got into the leatherwork quite a few years ago, mostly as a hobby fixing old tack and making some tack I needed. I really got into leatherwork a year or so ago, when I simply could not find anyone local to make the accessories I needed for my gun customers. I have a 20x20 leather shop and have invested a good deal in it over the past year, in leather inventory, tooling and a new Artisian Toro sewing machine from Srpingfield leather co. (I might add they are really good people to work with and their support is second to none, I highly recommend them, especially if you are just starting out).

Ok, back to the story. I have decided with the investment I have made in leather and tools it makes no sence for it to sit idle between gun projects, so I am now expanding the services I am offering and planning to seriously get into tack and saddle work. I plan on purchasing a smaller flat bed sewing machine soon for chaps and thinner leather, as I have realized the limitation of the bigger machine for this type of work. I look forward to visiting with everyone here and hopefully learning a bit while I am at it.

Welcome! I'm in Mt. Home, just up the street!

Are you coming to the gun show this weekend?

pete

Welcome! I'm in Mt. Home, just up the street. Are you coming to the gun how here this weekend?

pete

Thanks for the welcome Pete,

I am sorry, but I am out of town and will not be able to make the gun show. I have always wanted to, as I hear the Mtn. Home show is a good one. I see you play music, ever get down our way to play on the court square?? I am glad to see you are into Sheridan design, maybe we can get together sometime and you can teach me some about it. I would really like to learn more and get better at the stamping and carving aspect of leatherwork.

Thanks, Jamie

It would be my pleasure to show you. And no, I quit playing bluegrass and country a few years back. Now I use my custom 5 string elec. mandolins for Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Van Morrinson, T. Monk, Oliver Nelson, George Benson, etc.

Got tired of the bluegrass scene and country hasn't been "country" for a LONG time.

Let me know if you are ever up this way.

pete

Hi from up the road at Saint Joe, I bought a flatbed attachment for my toro 3000, chap work aint bad at all on it. Kind of a pain to take on and off, but otherwise it works fine.

Pete, Thanks I will look you up when I get up your way.

Bull, I tried sewing some canvas i had for some other saddle bag projects on the toro. I did alright as long as I was 4 layers thick anything less and it just did not feed well. I do have the table attachment and it does help for some things. The other thing is I sometimes have more than one project going at a time and I am constantly changing back and forth between thread and needle sizes. i am hoping to be able to eliminate that with the two machines.I know right where St. Joe is. I have some friends over in Snowball and we go ridin on the Buffalo some over there.

My father in law lives near Onia, I get over that way fairly often. My toro does fine with chap leather as long as I remember to change out needles and thread. Never had a problem. Only adjustments I make are to the presser foot pressure. Havnt tried to sew any canvas with it tho, might be the difference.

Hey Pete.....welcome to the forum!

Hey Pete.....welcome to the forum!

did you thinks that I had fallen off the planet?!! Been here all along.

thanks for the "hello" though.

stay well

pete(ps- the swivel blades are holding up great!)