carr52

whip braiding

I'm trying to learn how to braid a whip and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good web site that might offer tutorials on the subject.

Tom

I am in the process of braiding a 6 ft roo hide stockwhip that I purchased a kit from Mike Murphy in Australia. I don't have the time or inclination to make one form scratch at this point in time.

This came with a booklet, Whipmaking book two by Ron Edwards. I would recommend getting any book by Ron that has anything about whips in it. He does a great job on instructions. www.ramsskullpress.com

I know this only tells you to buy a book. I'm sure someone here will be able to do the tutorial and I will also like to see that for more info and techniques.

Via con Dios,

Joe

I am in the process of braiding a 6 ft roo hide stockwhip that I purchased a kit from Mike Murphy in Australia. I don't have the time or inclination to make one form scratch at this point in time.

This came with a booklet, Whipmaking book two by Ron Edwards. I would recommend getting any book by Ron that has anything about whips in it. He does a great job on instructions. www.ramsskullpress.com

I know this only tells you to buy a book. I'm sure someone here will be able to do the tutorial and I will also like to see that for more info and techniques.

Via con Dios,

Joe

Just wanted to say thank you for the link. I'm sure it will be helpful. I've started making the whip and so far it's going well, I think. I also found out you dont have to try and keep everything super tight as you go. I'm doing 3 or 4 wraps then tighening it. seems to working so far. Is that what thyour book is saying? I hate to have to start over, but I will if need be. Thaanks again Joe.

Tom

Howdy,

I'm a new member here, a friend referred me because of the whipmaking topic. Joe, good choice going with Mike Murphy- great whipmaker (although you're plaiting it you can rest assured he did a fine job cutting and tapering the strands) and a great guy to do business with. Tom, what kind of whip are you making, out of what material, how long do you want it to be and how many strands are you using. I learned to make whips by reading "How to Make Whips" by Ron Edwards (which includes the booklet Joe referred to). This book shows how to make Stock Whips, Bull Whips, and Snake Whips, with strands ranging from 4 to 16. I highly recommend it. On the topic of tightness-I hate to say it but You'll get a much better result if you keep everything tight as you go. Mr' Edwards had a saying, "Pull tight, plait loose," in other words, pull your strand tight and make sure it's in place before you bring the next strand around. Also, you'll get a much straighter whip if you put the thick end in a vise of some sort and pull on the thong as you plait. Otherwise, they have a tendency to twist as you plait further along, which can give the whip an erratic arc of motion and make it more dangerous (and less fun) to use. I did the same thing you mentioned when I first started because I didn't quite understand how to hold the thong and strands while plaiting, and I saw my quality jump way up when I got the hang of doing it the way Mr. Edwards suggests. Here's a link to the Whip Enthusiasts website, there's a lot of skilled whipmakers on there with great knowledge that they're happy to share. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhipEnthusiasts/

Any questions, drop me a line. Happy Plaiting,

Tyler

Just wanted to say thank you for the link. I'm sure it will be helpful. I've started making the whip and so far it's going well, I think. I also found out you dont have to try and keep everything super tight as you go. I'm doing 3 or 4 wraps then tighening it. seems to working so far. Is that what thyour book is saying? I hate to have to start over, but I will if need be. Thaanks again Joe.

Tom

I would also highly recommend the Ron Edwards books as well as Mike Murphy for any kits. I just don't have the time or know how to make a whip from scratch right now. I will make the time in the future.

Tyler, thanks for the link to the whip enthusiest web site. I will join that group to gain more info. What do you know about the APWA in Australia? I am considering joining to see how much I can learn from them and the magazine they put out.

Tom, I braided on my whip last night and did the same one foot section three times before I was satisfied with it. I read yesterday that "there is no right way to do something wrong". I think I will put that up on the wall where I do my leatherwork. And my office at the paying job.

I will continue to moniter this thread and keep in touch about how I am doing as well as how you are doing with your prroject also.

Via con Dios,

Joe

Hey Y'all,

Tom, the APWA is sort of like a private Better Business Buruea for whipmakers, in addition to being an educational society. It was founded by the late Ron Edwards (he passed away this winter) as a way to preserve traditional Australian Bushcraft because he saw that most whipmakers tended to guard their techniques somewhat jealosly. They do what they can to mediate disputes between whipmakers and customers shen they arise, and if they find one of their members isn't reputable they eject them. So, someone who is thinking of investing upwards of $200-$300 with someone they've never met, often in a foreign country, can be somewhat assured of the makers' reputation when they see the APWA logo. I haven't joined yet, but I intend to, I understand they do have some great info in their newsletter.

So Joe, Tom, how are your projects coming along? Joe, which kit did you get, and are you having any problems? Take care,

Tyler

I would also highly recommend the Ron Edwards books as well as Mike Murphy for any kits. I just don't have the time or know how to make a whip from scratch right now. I will make the time in the future.

Tyler, thanks for the link to the whip enthusiest web site. I will join that group to gain more info. What do you know about the APWA in Australia? I am considering joining to see how much I can learn from them and the magazine they put out.

Tom, I braided on my whip last night and did the same one foot section three times before I was satisfied with it. I read yesterday that "there is no right way to do something wrong". I think I will put that up on the wall where I do my leatherwork. And my office at the paying job.

I will continue to moniter this thread and keep in touch about how I am doing as well as how you are doing with your prroject also.

Via con Dios,

Joe

I got a 6 foot kangaroo hide stock whip kit. The biggest problem I had is that there are not specific instructions with it. Ron Edwards book #13, Whipmaking book two was sent with the kit. The handle covering is an eight plait and I did not know that you take the four strands, half them and tie on in the middle of the handle and braid to the end. Now that I know that the rest should be easy. I've done some buttons so I am just counting time until I can finish this thing. I will post a couple of pics when I am finished.

Now I have a guy that wants a snake whip. I will have to do a little research to see if I can get a kit or I may be adventurous and try one from scratch.

Via con Dios,

Joe

Hey Joe,

I'd be interested in seeing some pics when you're done. I haven't seen a snakewhip kit, but I consider those to be the easiest type to make. If you have questions, ask away.

Happy Plaiting,

Tyler

I got a 6 foot kangaroo hide stock whip kit. The biggest problem I had is that there are not specific instructions with it. Ron Edwards book #13, Whipmaking book two was sent with the kit. The handle covering is an eight plait and I did not know that you take the four strands, half them and tie on in the middle of the handle and braid to the end. Now that I know that the rest should be easy. I've done some buttons so I am just counting time until I can finish this thing. I will post a couple of pics when I am finished.

Now I have a guy that wants a snake whip. I will have to do a little research to see if I can get a kit or I may be adventurous and try one from scratch.

Via con Dios,

Joe

I know it has been a long time since I said I was working on this whip. I finally finished last night. I have not had anything else to do in the past three weeks :rofl: , I will post a couple of oics when I get a chance. That is my wife's department. I will be away for a week at training for my paying job.

I will admit, I got a great education on this project. You know, if you learn from your mistakes. I braided the knob on the handle about 14 times before I got it to where I thought it was good enough to stay there.

I will probably take some leather with me to start on a snake whip or I guess I should take some rawhide to get started on a quirt for a guy that ordered it a couple of weeks ago.

Via con Dios,

Joe

I'm trying to learn how to braid a whip and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good web site that might offer tutorials on the subject.

Tom

I did get the Ron Edwards book from the libaray. Great book. I recomend it. Have made several practice peices. just trying out the different patterns. Also I'm using paracord to practice with. As of now I just finished cutting the strands for my "real" whip. My strands are 9 feet long and taper from about 5mm to 7mm. I'm going to use 12 strands. It took a while to cut them but I used a strand cutter that I could adjust on the fly and it was alot easier. I still have to skive the edges. Should be fun. I did it on the core and it rolled out really nice. Oh yeah I got the core almost done. I'll post a pic of it this afternoon if I finish it.

Tom

I finished my 6 ft roo hide whip. Turned out better than I had hoped. M question is, how do I post the pictures on this forum?

Thanks,

Joe

I finished my 6 ft roo hide whip. Turned out better than I had hoped. M question is, how do I post the pictures on this forum?

Thanks,

Joe

Boy am I the wrong guy to ask. But I'll try. Click on the browse button on the bottom right and to find the picture you want, click open then upload. That will put it in the manage current attachments box. Open that box and click on the plus sign. Oh yeah, make sure your cusor is in the place you want your picture to be. Then add post or preview post. I hope this works for you. I keep having a heck of a time losing them.

Tom

Hi All

Intersting topic. Would one of you guys post a link to where we could buy there kits.

Many Thanks

Hi All

Intersting topic. Would one of you guys post a link to where we could buy there kits.

Many Thanks

I just got a book from the public libarary by Ron Edwards. I think it was just called whip making and braiding.

Tom

www.murphywhips.com

Hi All

Many Thanks

I got my kit from Murphywhips.com What a great guy to work with. I e-mailed about three times with questions and had a reply within a couple of days. I would highly recommend checking out his web site and contacting him. The kit I got included the book ":Whipmaking Book Two" by Ron Edwards. I would say you can not go wrong ordering from Mike Murphy.

Tom

http://www.whip-basics.de/gallery.php I posted a nylon whip tutorial over on the Whip Basics forum..

Hope that helps

Tony

tyler

I have a question for you on whips is it possible to make one that will not crack.

I tried making a nylon stock whip and having trouble getting it to crack although it looks real good and also is it possible to make the handle to large. when I swing it my arm really gets tired

I've got to make a few nylon Stock Whips of late and am pleasantly suprised at how easy they crack and how well they replicate a leather one.....I'm a big believer that a well made whip will crack no matter what it's made from and these little Stockys prove that for me.....

Tony

DSCN4212001.jpg

DSCN4214001.jpg

DSCN4151001.jpg

DSCN4102001.jpg

DSCN4072_001.jpg

post-5109-1238672023_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1238672039_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1238672057_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1238672072_thumb.jpg

post-5109-1238672117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Essentia

Hey Tony,

Those look great. I think you are on the APWA site too, right? One day I would like to learn to do a whip from begining to end.

Here are pictures of the roo hide whip I made.

whip2.jpg

whip3.jpg

whip.jpg

Those are some really great looking whips. I too have been using nylon to braid whips. Works great and they do crack real nice.

Tom

That'd be me on the APWA forum, if there's a forum anywhere that even mentions whips you'll probably find me on it somewhere :wub::wub::rolleyes2: LOL

Tony

I don't know what is wrong then but I cannot get it louder than a comfortable slap on the leg.

Out of curiousity, what do your falls and crackers look like? It may not necessarily be the plaiting of the whip, but the fall and cracker if you made them yourself. Some thoughts would be length of the fall being too short, wide, or thick. And maybe the cracker being too short. You may also want to look at how your fall is attached to the tail. If the knot work (for lack of better words) is too heavy, that might also be your problem.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by The Major