Sign in to follow this  
ReverendBob

Leather Dye

Greetings

I'm new around here.

I was wondering if someone could post directions on the fool proof way to dye leather a nice even color.

This is a skill I have yet to learn.

Thanks

CK

Greetings

I'm new around here.

I was wondering if someone could post directions on the fool proof way to dye leather a nice even color.

This is a skill I have yet to learn.

Thanks

CK

CK,

assuming that the leather will accept the dye evenly & at the same rate, either dip OR spray. Never daub for a large area. Others may disagree with me, but I've never had great success with a dauber. By the time I get an even coverage, I've wasted what I consider a great deal of dye. My own preference is to spray (but i'll use a dauber for the edges, though).

Better quality leathers tend to accept the dye much more evenly, inexpensive... well, maybe yes, maybe no.

russ

Airbrush/spray gun is the best way to get an even color. If you're only looking for smaller projects, or if you don't have a spray setup, soak it. Use rubber gloves (Very important!), a 2-3 inch square of sheepskin/woolskin as your dauber. Thin your dye at least 50/50 with rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol (Assuming a spirit dye or Fiebing pro oil dye). Now soak that sucker with dye. The thinner dye will soak in quickly and allow you to build up the color. You can thin the dye a lot before it loses the ability to cover well. After it dries use a clean sponge or sheepskin scrap to buff off any dye stuffs on the surface of the leather. I usually clean with liquid or glycerin saddle soap until the rags quite staining. This also adds a bit of oil back into the leather, which helps soften it after the solvent in the dye dries it out.

Not saying this is the only way, just a way that works for me.

Dave T.

Send it to someone like 'Hidepounder,' YakLady, Big Papa, etc.

Just kidding. Exactly what was already said.