JerseyFirefighter

Looking To Pull The Trigger On A Sewing Machine. Looking For Best Deal (Cobra 4P New/used)

So ive decided in the coming month or so I will jump in with both feet and buy a sewong machine. The consensus is either a juki, cobra or cowboy. Ive settled on a cobra 4p and was curious if there was a place to get a good deal on it. After lookingnit appears they might very well have a MAP of $2750. Im totally up for a used machine if one pops up, but will buy new if neccessary. By the Jersey Shore. As far as I saw Keystone sewing does not carry the brand. Thanks!

Gregg at Keystone has the Highlead GA2688-1 which is the Highlead "beefed-up" version of the 441 (uses 441 parts though). I have two of these machines which have served me very well, one in extreme service without a complaint. The one that gets the heavy work has a stand identical to what Keystone supplies, which is also a battlewagon. They cost a couple hundred more than the West Coast machines, but you won't have to pay shipping as they are close to you. If you read much on leatherworker you will see that having the dealer close to you is a lot better than saving a few bucks. I see China really devaluing the renminbi/yuan which would allow the dollar to buy more, but the sewing machine prices are going up? Keystone has been around more than 30 years and are very reputable.

Art

having the dealer close to you is a lot better than saving a few bucks.

This was worth repeating :gathering:

Gregg at Keystone has the Highlead GA2688-1 which is the Highlead "beefed-up" version of the 441 (uses 441 parts though). I have two of these machines which have served me very well, one in extreme service without a complaint. The one that gets the heavy work has a stand identical to what Keystone supplies, which is also a battlewagon. They cost a couple hundred more than the West Coast machines, but you won't have to pay shipping as they are close to you. If you read much on leatherworker you will see that having the dealer close to you is a lot better than saving a few bucks. I see China really devaluing the renminbi/yuan which would allow the dollar to buy more, but the sewing machine prices are going up? Keystone has been around more than 30 years and are very reputable.

Art

This was worth repeating :gathering:

I agree with the notion of having a dealer being close. Keystone may very well be the only place near me. Aside from the city (im almost equidistant to both) if I couldnt find what I was looking for I had, and still have had the intention to make the pilgrimage over there. Two things concern me.

1: just 2 months ago I was trying to find a sub 1k solution to sewing, now ive finally accepted the reality that 2700-3000 is more of the realistic approach. Ive been deluged with the cobra,cowboy brand notions so a product ive yet to come across concerns me. Not for reputation's sake, but the ease and availability to find tutorials for use and repairs.

2:At least from what the description leads me to believe it may or may not have the accessories included in the cobra 4 premium kit. While my ignorance in sewing is without question, I would assume having the additional attachments and perks included adds versatility to what im avle to do.

Any thoughts that can expand on my concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

I got a bunch of feet, a canvas setup, needles, thread, and 3 needle plates with the one I bought, You'll have to ask Gregg what he provides as accessories. The Highlead operates identical to the 441. Highlead is a top maker, some of their machines are rebranded with logos of makers we discuss here. The GA2688 is not popular with those same makers because it is too expensive, they use a cheaper manufacturer for their 441s. Additionally, most of the Highlead Machines are imported by Friedlander.

Art

Keystone has Ferdco pro 2000 now

Keystone has Ferdco pro 2000 now

Just wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for the advice. Went to Keystone today and not only did I pick up the ferdco they had, but Greg was nice enough to sit with me for about 1.5-2 hrs explaining EVERYTHING to this greenhorn. Top notch experience going there.