This is actually my first post here, despite being a member for a while and learning a lot from the forum. This project wouldn't have been possible without this site. Anyway, here's the weekend bag I just completed. It's unlined, fully saddle stitched with matte nickel hardware, and hand-dyed veg tan handles and straps.

post-26134-0-47166900-1382382882_thumb.j

post-26134-0-54083400-1382382898_thumb.j

post-26134-0-56293400-1382382923_thumb.j

post-26134-0-01454200-1382382937_thumb.j

post-26134-0-18806300-1382382956_thumb.j

I love it!! You need to post more often!!

Great Job! I want!

Very Nice! I am in the starting stages of one. I just sat down today to do a pattern. I hop mine is as nice as yours.

Karina

beautiful bag. Cheryl

Wow! You, sir, nailed that one! Great job and I hope you continue to share.

Nice!

wow that´s a really nice bag! I also think you should post more often. At least if such a beauty like this comes out ;)

Man that is nice work! Well done!

Andy

Very nice Reginald.

How did you line the bag ?? or is it unlined? I think you'll find a few copycats on this site will want a bag like that in there collection.

I too would like to copy. Did you hand sew or machine??

Well done and cheers for sharing.

Very nice Reginald.

How did you line the bag ?? or is it unlined? I think you'll find a few copycats on this site will want a bag like that in there collection.

I too would like to copy. Did you hand sew or machine??

Well done and cheers for sharing.

The bag is unlined. I saw a similar bag that was also unlined and the leather had a nice soft suede flesh side so it works fine. It just has extra strips where the straps and zipper are attached to make the construction easier. I don't have a leather sewing machine, so mine is all hand sewn. I would have been finished months ago otherwise!

Thanks!

Very nice job. The stitching looks great and the design beautifully executed. The leather selection, design features and stitching color work very nicely together.

Are the two dorsal seams a deliberate feature or a necessity due the the size of or shape of the hide? Either way it works. What leather is it?

Tony

Wow....I really love it...

This is fantastic. Design looks nice and practical. Color selection really works well. Overall very well designed and executed.

Regards

KN

Wow, you nailed that one. It has a casual yet very refined style to it. We'll done sir!

This is actually my first post here, despite being a member for a while and learning a lot from the forum. This project wouldn't have been possible without this site. Anyway, here's the weekend bag I just completed. It's unlined, fully saddle stitched with matte nickel hardware, and hand-dyed veg tan handles and straps.

Would you happen to have a pattern for this bag or some in-process photos? I am about to attempt making something similar myself and am trying to get my head wrapped around how all the different parts go together on different style bags. Specifically sequencing of stitching which seams first.

wow! that is a beauty. you've nailed exactly what i want to make for myself. i started a bag similar to this about 5 years ago and got bogged down in the details. it started out as kind of a duluth trading AWOL duffel bag, but as i said, it didn't get finished. you reinspired me. i love this bag.

um.....yeah....we need more pistures.

Very nice job. The stitching looks great and the design beautifully executed. The leather selection, design features and stitching color work very nicely together.

Are the two dorsal seams a deliberate feature or a necessity due the the size of or shape of the hide? Either way it works. What leather is it?

Tony

Thanks for the kind words! The seams are there to add some visual interest to the sides of the bag, but they also conveniently hold the D rings for the handles and allowed me to cut pieces for the sides much more efficiently than I would have been able to. I made this from scrap pieces I got from a leather countertop installation so cutting each side in 3 pieces allowed me to waste far less material.

I don't actually remember what the leather is exactly. It was originally ordered over a year ago, but it's from Springfield Leather Co. and about 4/5 oz. Probably in their upholstery leathers section.

Would you happen to have a pattern for this bag or some in-process photos? I am about to attempt making something similar myself and am trying to get my head wrapped around how all the different parts go together on different style bags. Specifically sequencing of stitching which seams first.

I don't have a pattern, but the sides/ends are trapezoids and the bottom is a rectangle so it shouldn't be too hard to make as long as you make sure the lengths of your edges end up the same. I'll add some photos of the construction.

Most difficult parts:

-The tabs that hold the d rings on the ends because the leather is 2 layers there and the zipper makes it uneven without some extra work.

-The straps on the ends. Sewing through the strap, strap holder, 2 layers of bag leather with the hardware piece in the way was very slow going.