I have a set of scabbards here and I am going to vinegaroon them to that beautiful black/indigo color. The only problem is that then the oils in the leather are brought out. It seems like all of the oils from inside the leather are pushed to the surface. The finish is supposed to be a mutad, flat black. Not shiny. How do I avoid the shiny look of the oils and still keep the leather properly treated and waterproof?

Treat it with Dr Jackson's Hide rejuvenator - good feeding of the leather and not very shiny.

I have a set of scabbards here and I am going to vinegaroon them to that beautiful black/indigo color. The only problem is that then the oils in the leather are brought out. It seems like all of the oils from inside the leather are pushed to the surface. The finish is supposed to be a mutad, flat black. Not shiny. How do I avoid the shiny look of the oils and still keep the leather properly treated and waterproof?

FOR WHAT I WAS TOLD THE VINAGROON PROCESS WORKS BEST WITH VEG TANNED

LEATHER, NO DYE OR FINISH ON IT.

You still need to oil it to bring out the deep black color. Once you have oiled it then finish it as you normally would. I have finished them with atom wax for a nice sheen and I also like to use sno-seal because I like that stuff and after its set on it for a bit its not very shiny and leaves the leather black with a slight sheen to it. Very nice.

I tried to vinegaroon some pre-oiled harness leather and the dye wouldn't take?? (more of a patchy antique brown/black look) I didn't soak the leather but I did wipe the vine on real heavy.

Most skirting that I have vined has turned a dark grey and it takes the oil bath to bring out the real nice, deep black. I just use 100% neatsfoot and after it dries a while it is a real dull black, I then apply some bagkote and some "Skidmore's" to bring out the luster.