cheepo63

Burnishing Thin Or Very Soft Leather

I have a question about getting nice edges on thin leather ( 0,8-1,5 mm) or very soft leather. I have tried to burnish them but its not easy to get a nice looking edge. Is it even possible? Or should I just sand it and paint it with some edge colour?

Thanks

I have the same issue and hope you find an answer. I am looking to buy an item called modge podge that is supposed to give the edge a nice finish. That may be a good alternative.

I have done this on 2 oz leather for notebook pockets with a burnisher mounted in a drill press. I have to hold the leather very close to the edge to keep pressure on the burnisher and to keep the leather from rolling over. I think I remember seeing someone here recommend using a stiffener like card stock under the leather you are burnishing to help hold it in place and provide some rigidity while burnishing. The idea was just to have the leather rest on top of the cardstock, not be attached to it.

I put Wyo Slick on my edges (available through Sheridan Leather Outfitters) and it works well. I don't get Bob Park quality edges on these thin pockets but I'm just trying to get a smooth edge that feels finished and doesn't have fuzzies, not a super polished edge. It works for that. Just don't put too much pressure on your leather or you can easily mess up the edge and fold it over a bit against the burnisher. When this happens I can ususally flatten in back out with a bone folder and get it looking presentable again.

Bob

For thin veg tan or bridle leather (2-4 oz), I get good results just dampening the leather and using a hard wood burnishing tool on a dremel type rotary tool set at the lowest speed. You can also dampen the edge, rub it with saddle soap and burnish it with canvas while laying the leather on the edge of a table. For floppy stuff - chrome tan or goatskin - edge painting is the way to go. European fashion houses like Hermes use a heated edge tool to seal the edge coat.

Edited by Narvi

Thanks for the info. I think I will try to squeeze the leather between two stiffer pieces pf leather and burnish the top of the leather.