So, i recently did up a holster with a line 24 snap for the thumb break and I didn't like that fact that the back side of the male end concaved. When I put the plastic cover on, I was left with a small gap. I was thinking of counterboring to recess the snap. I could have sworn I came across this process in one of the threads. However, after an extensive search, I couldn't find it again. Any advise?

photo-16.jpg

photo-18.jpg

Edited by CountryTrash

the one i remember was recessing tee nut bases and they used a forstner bit to shave a hrecess for the base of the tee nut to set in so it was below or even with the surface of the leather. Ibelieve the process would work the same with the snap. Just find the right size forstner bit slowly shave the recess down to the desired depth and inset the snap base.

post-15001-098180800 1333867202_thumb.jp

Edited by camano ridge

If you have a french edger you can try this trick from page 38 of Leathercraft-Tools-by-Al-Stohlman. Its really easy and works well for me.

post-22515-007848500 1333876369_thumb.jp

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

So, i recently did up a holster with a line 24 snap for the thumb break and I didn't like that fact that the back side of the male end concaved. When I put the plastic cover on, I was left with a small gap. I was thinking of counterboring to recess the snap. I could have sworn I came across this process in one of the threads. However, after an extensive search, I couldn't find it again. Any advise?

photo-16.jpg

photo-18.jpg

FWIW from the old grumpy guy; I think (maybe) that the problem you are having is that the base used when setting that snap just wasn't firm enough. The little 'anvils' supplied for setting just aren't enough IMO. I use an 8"x8" piece of 1/4" steel as a base, with the anvil on top of that only for the domed side. No anvil for the male piece. Mike

My setting anvil has 2 sides, one concave for the tops and one flat for the male posts. Is it possible yours has only one side, a concaved one? Sometimes when I get in a hurry I overlook things, and something like using the wrong side of the anvil I could see myself doing.

Jeremy

My setting anvil has 2 sides, one concave for the tops and one flat for the male posts. Is it possible yours has only one side, a concaved one? Sometimes when I get in a hurry I overlook things, and something like using the wrong side of the anvil I could see myself doing.

Jeremy

Maybe that's all it is, my user error. My anvil has two sides. I'll flip it over on the next one.

Pig skin lining on just the strap portion. Looks more professional IMHO. Nothing for the user to loose and the pig skin will not wear through. Personally, I'd recess the socket as well using the french edger approach. Creates a much nicer look when snapped, again, IMHO.

My FWIW I agree with the old grumpy guy. I don't use the backing tool from Tandy. I use a piece of 3/4" steel plate to back the snap when I set it. Nothing but flat after that.

That is why I started lining mine. I like to hide the hardware.