Saamigo

Looking For Information On Ryon Saddle

Hello. I am looking for any information I can find on this Ryon saddle. I can't find a number on it. I know it needs to be cleaned, oiled etc :) It is old, but pretty I think. I am really wondering about the "brand" on the fenders. It is the same on both sides. Age or anything else would be helpful.

Thanks.

post-31233-0-36299700-1380414579_thumb.j

post-31233-0-06601200-1380414602_thumb.j

post-31233-0-58895300-1380414616_thumb.j

post-31233-0-00866500-1380414645_thumb.j

post-31233-0-19384100-1380414657_thumb.j

Well, after a lot of cleaning, I did find a number on the skirt under the fender. It is 1001 if that helps any :)

Did you ever get the information you were looking for on that saddle or the brand on the side?  I have recently come across an older Ryon saddle and am trying to learn about them.  Somebody responding on behalf of the Sean Ryon website told me that some "Ryon" saddles (as opposed to Sean Ryon saddles) could be production saddles rather than custom made.  I am wondering how I can learn more of the history of the Ryon brand, what time period the "production" saddles were made, and how to identify a "production saddle" as opposed to an older custom saddle.

Help from anyone would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ryon Saddle.jpg

Ryon Saddle2.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Those two saddles look pretty old. I know that back in the 70s and before, Ryon's saddles were made right there in the shop north of the stockyards in Fort Worth. I used to sit and watch them work. They had some good old time saddle makers. I wish I had paid more attention back then. Several famous saddle makers came through the Ryon's shop and then went out on their own.  I remember they went through some changes in the late 80s - 90s time period and Luskey's bought them out. Search some copies of the Quarter Horse News or Western Horseman, they will have the chronology of the transition. Both publications have online resources. I bet there are some old timers who could match the number to the maker.  

I have some old catalogs from the 70s. I know the saddle pictured by hobblecreek is in them. I wish I could buy them for those prices again.