Sign in to follow this  
rdb

Wanting to add tack repairs

Of all the skilled people on this board, the saddlery people are the ones I most repect. I wish I could have been youse guys.

Back a long time ago (35 years), I had a hippy dippy leather shop for 4-5 years making belts, pocketbooks on my old twin needle, vests, etc., occassionally I did some tack repairs for a polo guy at Myopia in Hamilton Ma.; restiching, cleaning, replacing straps. That's the limit of my experience with saddlery.

Now I find myself out of work, and starting up my old leatherwork trade; belts, guitar straps, simple stuff for now. I can't afford a sewing machine again for awhile.

In this rural area of NC, there's not all that much business, so I thought I would add tack repairs into the mix. I am a little leery, because I am not an expert by any means, although there are quite a few horse shops (english and western) around, and the nearest repair is at least an hour away.

If I start off simple and offer a few services It might be okay. Saddle Cleaning, hand stictch repairs, strap replacement, etc.

I am an old man, and Oklahoma Boot and Saddle School is out of the question...so are the $400 DVDs

My questions are:

Should I?

What books can I get for a crash course?

What simple services should I offer?

Any real good advice sources?

Would you guys help me in a pinch?

Should I?

It seems like a good idea to me. Earlier this year I had the leather shop make me a new latigo holder that a buddy broke on my saddle. I had him tool in my brand and some barbwire. Cost me 8 bucks, which he probably didn't make any money on. Course when wife and I went to pick it up she found $120 worth of tack we couldn't live without. Without that repair work we wouldn't of been there to buy the tack. Along the same lines, if you can add some customizing to a repair job, like some tooling on a flank billet for instance, there could be a few extra dollars.

What books can I get for a crash course?

I'll let the others jump in on this one. Seems like there are a few choices in books but since I ain't seen any of them I can't really give an opinion.

What simple services should I offer?

Unless you got a pretty good handle on it, hard core saddle repairs might be iffy cause of the safety aspects. But hand stitching stuff, setting rivets and snaps, sizing work gets people in your shop. Saddle cleaning be a good winter thing it seems.

Any real good advice sources?

You're already there. Won't find any more expertise than's on this board. Also. the stores that sell leather and supplies are usually good help - the more you know the more they sell.

Would you guys help me in a pinch?

These are some of the most helpful folks I've ever come across.

Thanx for jumpin' in SmokinP.

Good advice - Might even be the start of a list.

1. "customizing to a repair job, like some tooling on a flank billet for instance"

2. "Unless you got a pretty good handle on it, hard core saddle repairs might be iffy cause of the safety aspects. But hand stitching stuff, setting rivets and snaps, sizing work gets people in your shop. Saddle cleaning be a good winter thing it seems."

Edited by rdb