Mike516

Looking For Larger Hand Wheel For Singer 95-10

I was going to do this some time ago but have been doing pretty well with my small business so I kind of got sidetracked a little. I had some notes about doing all this but I can't for the life of me find them.

I want to try and use my Singer 95-10 to sew pig skin to 7/8 oz veg. and make some nice dog collars.

As I'm not an expert sewer by any means, I would like to swap out the original hand wheel for a larger one.

Did they make bigger hand wheels for these old machines, and if so what size should I look for and where might I look for one?

While I'm here asking that question, I may as well make sure I'm going to do this right. I'm thinking of using #92 nylon thread with a #20 needle and work from there. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

You might check with industrial machine dealers in your area. Many of them have old machines lying around to salvage parts from. I was able to get the huge wheel from a junk Singer 29 for five bucks. If either you or a friend can do lathe work, it is easy to make the necessary modifications or adapter bushings to make the wheel fit. I put the model 29 wheel on a 42-5 machine that was missing its wheel.

Edited by Cascabel

Crap, I didn't want to have to do any modifications like that. So they never made bigger hand wheels for these machines? I guess it makes sense. They wanted them to go faster not slower, so making a larger hand wheels probably defeats the purpose.

Personally, I like a large wheel. The inertia of a heavy wheel makes for more power to punch the needle through tough materials while going slow.

You better buy a sewing machine capable of sewing leather and forget the hand wheel.

You can not use a 92 thread on this machine it will not work. The machine was designed to sew around 3500 stitches per minute on light cloth to medium cloth.

Ok, I understand.

I also have a Singer 96-10 that might be better suited. But I've never used it, it's been sitting in my garage.

Would I be able to get a bigger hand wheel for that one or should I consider getting a real leather sewing machine?

The 96 is a longer arm version of the 95 so it won't sew any different,like Geneva said they both were made to sew fast & thin materials.

That is disappointing. I really thought I read somewhere that the 96-10 for sure was made to sew leather. I suppose I'll stick to hand stitching. Leather sewing machines are real expensive and I hate to invest in one without even knowing if I can sew adequately to make use of it. Thanks all.

You probably did read some where the 95 and 96 will sew leather; on one of those stupid auctions that is listed on ebay. The guys that advertise those machines as being capable of sewing 6 to 8 ounce leather are basically liars.

That machine will not do. It can not stand being run on 7 or 8 ounce material as a steady diet. It is designed to sew canvas not leather.

You need a Singer 111w153, Juki LU-562 or 563 an Adler 67, 167, 267, 467; Phaff 335, Tech Sew makes a good one. They are all walking foot machines and will sew 3/8th of an inch material.

If you want to start a business don't mess around with the houseshold machines they will not work.

Good luck.

I thought I read in the adjusters manual for one of them that they sew leather. I guess it was somewhere else. Or maybe it said heavy material and I thought leather. I don't know now.

I agree about the people on eBay. They will swear up and down that their machine will sew leather. And it might for a little while, but eventually it will stop.

Thanks for the list. I've made enough money with my little leather business to invest in something new and I was considering a sewing machine. I'll check those out, thanks a bunch for all the advice.

Are there any new machines that would be good?

I've looked around and those older machines cost as much if not more than a new one.

I was looking at this one: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/juki-du-1181.php

That machine is only dual feed, with teeth on both feet. You would be better off getting a Juki DNU-1541s, which has triple, compound feed and the standard feet are totally smooth.

Wow that looks like a real nice machine, if a bit pricey. But it looks complicated. I'm really a beginner when it comes to sewing, would that be the best machine to learn on?

Wow that looks like a real nice machine, if a bit pricey. But it looks complicated. I'm really a beginner when it comes to sewing, would that be the best machine to learn on?

The right machine for the job. That is the one to learn on.

Learning on an inadequate machine, or an unsuited one is a recipe for mistakes and frustration. It will cost you more in the long run in material waste, time waste, and hair loss. In the end you then will need to get the right machine anyways. Look at the sticky tutorial on this site about sewing machines, do alot of research. Spending a little more to get the right one is a decision you will not regret later. Keep in mind you pay alot more for new than used (especially juki, pfaff etc.), so a new unsuited machine will cost you more after resale than a used unsuited machine would. At least if you bought a used machine, it should hold most of its value.

Wizcrafts gives good advice, both here and in bunches of other threads. Read his posts, he has graciously provided an encyclopaedia of information.

Don't overlook the cowboy/cobra/artisan/....clone market. They are cheaper new, have cheaper accessories, and have been known to be very well supported, including stories of the company owner delivering and setting the machine up in your home to ensure you are happy. (i think the customer lived near the owners moms house or something..)

Thank you TT.

Oddly enough I did find a Juki 1541S on CL near me, but someone else may have beat me to it. I'm really not sure if I want to go used and possibly deal with someone else's headache or just not take a chance and buy new. It's a good bit more money, but in the long run it may just be worth it to invest now and avoid problems in the future.

I think it's better that I read all the stuff on this section of the boards before deciding on which machine I want to invest in anyway.

But all good advice, I thank you all for the input, advice and expertise.