E L

Help- Opinions On Fortuna Skiving Machine

Hello all,

I need some advice. I bought a old Fortuna Skiving machine over a year ago which I haven't really used. I'm a newbie, who learned how to skive leather in school, but I never really learned maintenance of the machine, or repairs.

When I bought it I asked around the fabric district in NYC for repairers who could service the machine. A gentleman that normally works on Sewing Machines came in and tried to service the machine for me. The machine can run, but is inconsistent in the thickness it shaves off and often "eats up" the leather. It was at the time missing one of the belts on the inside of the machine.

I have postponed calling him again, as I would prefer someone who is more familiar with skiving machines to come back.

I am wondering considering that I am a casual user/newbie anyone's thoughts on - 1) if they know of any good skiving machine servicers in the NYC area, and 2) perhaps it's better for me to try to sell the machine on eBay or this forum considering that I sew leather somewhat infrequently? I say this, because from what I read on these forums, part replacement on old Fortuna machines sound costly! I have attached a couple of photos of the machine.

Thank you!

post-62528-0-31783300-1432318864_thumb.j

post-62528-0-10848100-1432318953_thumb.j

Try asking at upholstery shops or ask at wholesale leather supply houses. They would both have closer contact with repairmen who work on leather machines than the fabric and fashion crowd do. It may seem weird, but a company that works on old bookmaking equipment may also be able to service it. Books use machines with big sharp knives and stuff and the spines are stitched. The leather covers are often skived to be thin on the sides.

Thanks TinkerTailor!

Anyone: Thoughts about whether it is better for a novice to just sell it? I'm on the fence for sure.

Found this info on another forum ask Fortuna-Service Austria

if you do not use email you could drop a note their.

Send Type of machine, Machine-Nb if availabe (sometimes there are differences) a foto which shows the machine,

maybe a pc of the problem?

and a description of your problem to
office@fortuna-service.com

35 years of experience should do it ;-)

Tom

I truly appreciate the advice on this forum. Alas, I think I might sell it. Any thoughts on a fair price? It runs, would come with table and motor, needs to be serviced (per this thread), and would be local pick up only.

I'm considering listing on the forum here as well as on eBay. I would have loved to make it work, but I just got a very EXPENSIVE puppy who takes all my time energy and resources :surrender:

When you come up with a price figure send me a PM. I may be interested.

ferg

A fortuna skiver is a very good machine but in my experience without an aspirator (a sucking device that pulls the leather away from the bell knife) they will continue to jam up regularly. I have had several including 1 without an aspirator and I was most glad to be rid of it. Keeping the flesh side of the leather a little waxy or siliconed up does help  but if you want any serious production get one with an aspirator.

Used Fortuna skiving machines similar to yours have recently sold on ebay for $400-$800. Older machines are often hard to price because the condition is hard to judge, and the price difference between a "works" and "needs work" machine can easily be a factor of three or four. Brand new aftermarket Consew brand skivers of the same class sell for around $700 for the head. Fortuna brand machines are the originals and may hold their value a little better. 

Fortuna machines are represented in the U.S. exclusively by PIMA (Premium Industrial Machines of America), based in Alpharetta, Georgia. The company used to be called Pfaff Industrial of America, but they can't use that name anymore after Pfaff changed ownership.  The Fortuna product page of their website: http://pfaff-industrial.us/browse-by-application/skiving/fortuna-skiving-splitting/  They should also know about authorized service centers around the country.

Edited by Uwe