We just finished a custom motorcycle seat, and the owner said after riding it, there was some dye transfer on his butt. We finished the leather with neatsfoot and future floor wax as a top coat. Would someone have a better reciepe for sealing dyed leather to prevent this? Thanks Skinner

What did you use for dye? Was it "Black"

Ken

What did you use for dye? Was it "Black"

Ken

Hi, Ken. Yes it was black Lincoln dye.

Your going to find that using pretty much any "Black" dye, there is going to be crocking. About the only way to stop this before it occurs, is to seal the seat with something.

There was a thread here, (pre-crash) that David had started, it was about the same problem you're having. I can't remember the product that he used, but I do recall it fixed it. I suspect he will be along shortly, and will be able to tell you what he used.

Ken

Your going to find that using pretty much any "Black" dye, there is going to be crocking. About the only way to stop this before it occurs, is to seal the seat with something.

There was a thread here, (pre-crash) that David had started, it was about the same problem you're having. I can't remember the product that he used, but I do recall it fixed it. I suspect he will be along shortly, and will be able to tell you what he used.

Ken

I did read that and yes it did help. Thanks for your comeback!

Skinner

I did read that and yes it did help. Thanks for your comeback!

Skinner

The first thing you need to do is clean everything off the seat with Fiebings Deglazer/Cleaner ..... then for a top coat use Neatlac. Make sure the seat is dry before using the Neatlac. Both of these products are available from Tandy. The best solution is to talk your customer OUT of using black.

Dave

"The best solution is to talk your customer OUT of using black."

Wise advice from a wise man.

Ken

Thanks to all, Will try a few ideas and let you know how it works,

Skinner