Sign in to follow this  
Billy P

New Years Dinner

Down here in my little part of South Carolina, i'm fixing BLACK-EYED peas, with 3 kinds of sausage + smoked hog jowl. Then I will fry about 5lbs of sliced smoked hog jowl, fix 2 kinds of corn bread regular and with pork cracklins. My wife is gonna fix COLLARD GREENS seasoned with some of the oil left from frying the jowls, and some liquid smoke and a big SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE(sp). That is a traditional NEW YEARS dinner in our part of the SOUTH. Some of you other members chime in with what your traditions are in your part of the country and the world. Wishing everyone a really great and prosperous NEW YEAR. May we all be as busy with leather work as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Best wishes Billy P

Dang, Billy, I'm coming to your house! We'll be having a pork tenderloin cooked in sauerkraut, a can of Sylvia's black-eyed peas, corn and mashed potatoes. I've started this tradition in my house because of my time down south, we never really did antthing growing up in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

Billy, If you weren't so far away, I'd be at your table too. Man that sounds some kind of good. Here we'll probably go out on the eve for an early dinner if the House of Beef has rack of lamb with whiskey-peppercorn sauce. If not maybe a drive down to Los Banos for Basque food. New Years Day will be a navy bean soup. It isn't a family tradition handed down, but I've been doing it for several years.