timesofplenty

What's This Stitch And How Is It Done?

It is a chain stitch and it is made by a machiine. Unusual to see it on something like this bicycle seat. The thing with the chain stitch is that if you pull one end, the whole thing just comes undone. This is why it commonly is used to sew up one end of sacks containing material one wished easy access to like flour, sugar, etc... and stuff like feed for livestock..

Any one know about the v stitch for the second picture

Same stitch.......one picture of one side.......one picture of the other side

Same stitch.......one picture of one side.......one picture of the other side

Is this able to be replicated by hand do you think?

Edited by DavidL

I really don't think you would want to replicate for the exact reason WS stated. If the stitch is compromised anywhere along the line the whole thing will unravel. That is one of the greatest reasons to hand stitch is the integrity of the stitch. Just my 2 cents.

Is this able to be replicated by hand do you think?

Sure it is. I have known how to do this since I was a kid. I actually am very surprised that Al Stohlman didnt illustrate this in his great book "Leathercraft Tools". That is one of the first books,if not the very first book ! that every leatherworker should have and study.

Give me a little time and I will work up a tutorial with photos on how to do it.

That would help me out a lot. The people on leatherworker.net are a different breed of humans I swear. A member was nice enough to send me some samples and everyone is willing to share their knowledge.

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down this page http://www.victorian-embroidery-and-crafts.com/chain_stitch_variations.html to the section labeled "broad chain stitch", the left hand example is the easiest to use with leather

On a 1930s American bicycle seat

I have posted a tutorial on my blog on how you can do the chain stitch with one of the inexpensive hand stitchers. Just click on the link to my blog below.