Patrice

Looking for alternative to clicker die press.

Hi all!

Once again i'm using the infinite power of the leatherworker forum. :yes:

I just bought some small embossing plates and i dont have, for the moment, 1800$ for a tippman clicker press. So, i'm trying to figure out another way of stamping plates into my leather pieces. You will find a picture of the plates at the end of the topic.

I found this site:

http://www.clickcut.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=55

I send an email at the company, but did not received any responses for now.

Since the plates are very small 2" x 4", do you think that this small hand press would do a nice and even impression?

I was also looking for this other solution:

http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-530-120-002

That's i'm thinking right now. If you think of something else, let me and the others members know.

chess.jpg

post-573-125250418897_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrice,

A 3 or 4 ton Arbor press (ratcheting one is better but more expensive). As this is a standard machine shop type of thing, used ones are readily available and the Chinese ones are ok too. The ones that use a hydraulic bottle jack also work and are maybe even cheaper for the load rating.

Art

Hi all!

I just bought some small embossing plates and i dont have, for the moment, 1800$ for a tippman clicker press. So, i'm trying to figure out another way of stamping plates into my leather pieces. You will find a picture of the plates at the end of the topic.

I found this site:

http://www.clickcut.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=55

Since the plates are very small 2" x 4", do you think that this small hand press would do a nice and even impression?

http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-530-120-002

That's i'm thinking right now. If you think of something else, let me and the others members know.

Hi Patrice,

A 3 or 4 ton Arbor press (ratcheting one is better but more expensive). As this is a standard machine shop type of thing, used ones are readily available and the Chinese ones are ok too. The ones that use a hydraulic bottle jack also work and are maybe even cheaper for the load rating.

Art

Thank's Art.

If i'm going with a press shop, how can i fix plate on top and bottom of the press? I'm truying to figure that out!

Hi Patrice,

I have the Lucris MA Series III clicker press you have pictured (the first item). It works great with both cutting dies and embossing plates. The largest die I have is about 8" long, and use it to cut 6oz veg-tan with no effort at all. When using embossing plates, I maintain the pressure for about 2 minutes before releasing the lever to get a good impression from a large plate.

I'm not sure the second item you have pictured would work very well. A printing press probably doesn't produce as much pressure, whereas the clicker press is rated at 5 tons of pressure.

A lot of people also use arbor presses, such as the one Art suggested.

Kate

Hi Patrice,

I have the Lucris MA Series III clicker press you have pictured (the first item). It works great with both cutting dies and embossing plates. The largest die I have is about 8" long, and use it to cut 6oz veg-tan with no effort at all. When using embossing plates, I maintain the pressure for about 2 minutes before releasing the lever to get a good impression from a large plate.

I'm not sure the second item you have pictured would work very well. A printing press probably doesn't produce as much pressure, whereas the clicker press is rated at 5 tons of pressure.

A lot of people also use arbor presses, such as the one Art suggested.

Kate

Thank you Kate.

I just learned that the MA Series III clicker sell for 1550$ canadian. At this price, i'm wondering if should spend more and buy a tippman clicker 700... But, if i'm going for the arbor, can i ask the seller some accessory to use with my embossing plate?

I'm still thinking.

No one has mentioned a bench press yet, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm using the press from Weaver. It is well made, totally welded so there is no movement in it, and is ready to accept some steel plates, which they sell as well.

I've been using it with my embossing plates without problem. My only complaint is that it only comes with a 5 ton bottle jack which is a little weak.

I upgraded to a 12 ton jack from sears and am happy as a pig in mud. Cost of the press was about $350 US. Cheers!

I use a 2 ton arbor press with various size steel plates to cover the stamp, depending on the size of the stamping plate. I also took the ram off the press and drilled a 1/2" hole in the end to accept all stamp handles, also some tapped cross holes to hold the handles in. This makes for nice deep 3D stamp impressions. I also wanted a clicker press or the hydraulic press but don't have the room for it.

Charlie

DSCF0002 640x480.JPG

DSCF0004 640x480.JPG

DSCF0005 640x480.JPG

DSCF0006 640x480.JPG

post-8129-125254573979_thumb.jpg

post-8129-125254575848_thumb.jpg

post-8129-125254577587_thumb.jpg

post-8129-125254578856_thumb.jpg

I just learned that the MA Series III clicker sell for 1550$ canadian.

Wow, they've really gone up! I was fortunate to purchase mine used for $600. I love the machine, and it's well worth what I paid, but if I had to pay $1,550 for it, I would be considering the air-powered Tippman machine more strongly.

Others will have to answer the arbor press question, since I don't know a lot about them.

Kate

I use a 2 ton arbor press with various size steel plates to cover the stamp, depending on the size of the stamping plate. I also took the ram off the press and drilled a 1/2" hole in the end to accept all stamp handles, also some tapped cross holes to hold the handles in. This makes for nice deep 3D stamp impressions.

That seems to work pretty well, Charlie. Any way to attach a plate to the ram?

Kate

I would think that a book press would work. The one I have my eye on is an antique, cast iron frame with a screw down steel plate on top and a solid plate for a base. I will have to wait until I get to calif to try it out as it is sitting in my mom's livingroom as a knick-nack. She collects all kinds of interesting stuff

"That seems to work pretty well, Charlie. Any way to attach a plate to the ram?"

Kate

For me it's easier to work with the plate unmounted. But I could countersink a bolt on the plate for mounting in the ram hole.

Charlie

An alternative would be a small fly press. I suggest this because there would be no need to fix the plate at top and bottom of the press. Just make up a suitably sized flat platten (with a spigot to fit into the machine) that will drop down onto your work. If you make a flat base plate then all you need to do is put your work on the base plate and swing the fly press arm to drop the top platten. You can exert plenty of pressure with a small fly press.

Cost is minimal - I just paid £50 for this one including tooling to cut belt ends and punch crew holes. Local availability may be an issue...

fly-press.jpg

post-6314-125257407923_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRay

I noticed that machine in one of your earlier posts, Ray, and was wondering what on earth that was. I've never heard of a fly press... wonder if there is any place that sells them in the states.

When you say "spigot", what exactly do you mean? To me, a spigot is a faucet with a knob that water comes out of. Another one of those cultural differences in semantics between the UK and the US, perhaps?

Kate

I think you can get fly presses almost everywhere, Kate. They are a fairly universal industrial press that can exert huge pressure. They are often used in the jewellery business to cut out silver 'shapes' from plate material. I have had a number of them over the years and never miss a chance to pick up a cheap one as they are so useful.

Here is an example of some tooling for a fly press that simultaneously cuts the point on a strap and punches a row of holes - for making a belt blank from a simple straight strap. You can really make a lot of belt blanks using this tool. The Fly press in the pictures is actually fitted with the tooling for the other end - it cuts a crew punch slot for the buckle.

Different widths of belt are handled by moving the guides in and out.

The spigot is the cylindrical bit of metal fixed to the tool that is inserted into the machine. The spigot goes up inside the machine's moving/movable 'shaft' and is held in place with a hex head bolt - see note on picture.

Operating a fly press is simple. Just swing the handle to drop the shaft downwards. whatever is in the middle gets squashed. When you let go of the handle it swings back again. Easy!

Hope this helps to make things clearer.

IMHO, mechanical fly presses are much faster to use than most other hand operated presses especially the hydraulic sort that need to be pumped up and down. They are relatively cheap and are virtually indestructible. Tooling can be expensive if you are paying for it but it is so easy to make your own or get a friend to bodge it that they are cost effective too.

They do come in different sizes. I would suggest that a Number 3 (3 ton pressure) is the optimum size for most small workshops as it is relatively lightweight and quick to use. Anything less may not have the 'squashing power' you need - although I'm currently looking for a number 5 as it would give me a bit more oooomph when cutting out purse parts and guitar straps!

Ray

Press-2.jpg

Spigot-3.jpg

Spigot-2.jpg

Spigot-1.jpg

post-6314-125267303216_thumb.jpg

post-6314-125267305142_thumb.jpg

post-6314-125267306982_thumb.jpg

post-6314-125267394623_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRay

Wow! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I would like to thank you all for sharing your ideas!

I really like every thing.

But, for Weaver, i think i must have a sale tax number right? Becaus here, in Québec, i can have , what we call, a "compagnie à numéros" (number business). Basically, it is the registration number under you are enlisted to the governement of Quebec as a home base bussinness. Do you think Weaver will accept my number business company?

Also, concerning embossing plates. I just wrote to Dover publication to ask them if i can use their design royalty/permission-free and turn them in embossing plates. For what i have received, it semm that, for rubber stamps, it's 15$ and 50$ for a whole alphabet and number set. But i cannot sell the rubber stamps. So, i'm still waiting for more information about permission.

I will keep you informed as i receive more about that.

Thank's again and keep tooling :-)

No one has mentioned a bench press yet, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm using the press from Weaver. It is well made, totally welded so there is no movement in it, and is ready to accept some steel plates, which they sell as well.

I've been using it with my embossing plates without problem. My only complaint is that it only comes with a 5 ton bottle jack which is a little weak.

I upgraded to a 12 ton jack from sears and am happy as a pig in mud. Cost of the press was about $350 US. Cheers!

In the latest catalogue they have upgraded it to 12 ton.

I would think that a book press would work. The one I have my eye on is an antique, cast iron frame with a screw down steel plate on top and a solid plate for a base. I will have to wait until I get to calif to try it out as it is sitting in my mom's livingroom as a knick-nack. She collects all kinds of interesting stuff

I'd be interested to know how you go with it, my shop press might be a little large to fit in my new shed and something that fits on a small heavy duty table might be ideal.

Wow! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I would like to thank you all for sharing your ideas!

I really like every thing.

But, for Weaver, i think i must have a sale tax number right? Becaus here, in Québec, i can have , what we call, a "compagnie à numéros" (number business). Basically, it is the registration number under you are enlisted to the governement of Quebec as a home base bussinness. Do you think Weaver will accept my number business company?

Also, concerning embossing plates. I just wrote to Dover publication to ask them if i can use their design royalty/permission-free and turn them in embossing plates. For what i have received, it semm that, for rubber stamps, it's 15$ and 50$ for a whole alphabet and number set. But i cannot sell the rubber stamps. So, i'm still waiting for more information about permission.

I will keep you informed as i receive more about that.

Thank's again and keep tooling :-)

I would think it should be fine with Weaver as you are running a business in the catalogue they do ask if the shipping address is your home address.

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem

To one and all,

As the distributor of the MA series III press in North America, I justwant to say it beats all the other suggestions here except on price.The height of the head is easily adjustable, (unlike Tippmann's), theplates give even pressure over the entire head area, (unlike arborpresses that are point loaded), and lastly the head swings completelyout of the way so you can line up your work precisely and see what youare doing, (unlike all the other suggestions). The price has gone upmostly because of the falling US dollar and they are made in Australia,not China. I have sold over 250 of these machines since 2001 so restassured they are well made, reliable machines. And once you get one youwill recognize many other possibilities. About the price, blame thecurrency traders (or the US bankers).

Thanks,

Henry Veenhoven

Creative Leatherworks,

Toronto, Canada

416-231-1870

Hi all!

I found this site:

http://www.clickcut....id=11&Itemid=55

http://www.danielsmi...--i-530-120-002

That's I'm thinking right now. If you think of something else, let me and the others members know.

To one and all,

As the distributor of the MA series III press in North America, I justwant to say it beats all the other suggestions here except on price.The height of the head is easily adjustable, (unlike Tippmann's), theplates give even pressure over the entire head area, (unlike arborpresses that are point loaded), and lastly the head swings completelyout of the way so you can line up your work precisely and see what youare doing, (unlike all the other suggestions). The price has gone upmostly because of the falling US dollar and they are made in Australia,not China. I have sold over 250 of these machines since 2001 so restassured they are well made, reliable machines. And once you get one youwill recognize many other possibilities. About the price, blame thecurrency traders (or the US bankers).

Thanks,

Henry Veenhoven

Creative Leatherworks,

Toronto, Canada

416-231-1870

Hi all!

I found this site:

That's I'm thinking right now. If you think of something else, let me and the others members know.

Thank you.

I know that your are not reponsible for the high price of the MA series III. I'm sure it's well worth the money. But, for the price, i think i should wait and buy a more expensive machine with a larger surface.

While you are here, how do you ask for the tippmann clicker 700 and 1500?

I hope you did not find my message offensive. It was not my point. I only wanted to see what other leatherworkers here are using.

Patrice Robert

Edited by Patrice

Patrice,

I only added that info abput the MA Series III press because I think a lot of people are unaware of the various machines and their advantages/limitations. The Tippmann machines are $1650.00 and $3200.00 respectively. They are great for what they do but their limitation is that the head does not swing out of the way for lining up your work. Other than that they are well made and virtually maintenance free. The only thing that can happen is that the bladder can spring a leak and a new bladder is about $50.00.

I hope that helps,

Henry Veenhoven

416-231-1870

Thank you.

I know that your are not reponsible for the high price of the MA series III. I'm sure it's well worth the money. But, for the price, i think i should wait and buy a more expensive machine with a larger surface.

While you are here, how do you ask for the tippmann clicker 700 and 1500?

I hope you did not find my message offensive. It was not my point. I only wanted to see what other leatherworkers here are using.

Patrice Robert

Hi all!

Once again i'm using the infinite power of the leatherworker forum. yes.gif

I found this site:

Good morning Patrice, I have the a "clickcut" and I use it exclusivley for embossing samples for my cutomers, it does an excellent job. I bought from a Canadian company, let me know if you want a phone # and I'll send it to you on Monday when I get back to the office.

Peter

peter@waterhouseleather.com

I am thinking about a cheaper version for a press that could be adapted from a hydraulic jack.

I have been using one of the large cast iron book press as you described as a clicker press. The one I have must have been an industrial size press. No fancy designs in the casting, no fancy gold leaf or pin striping artwork. It's not the collectible show piece you would want to display. The one I picked up is also an antique and weighs at 80 lbs, found it on CL as I didn't want to pay shipping on one of these. I only have a few small clicker dies I use that are about 6" wide and I can click 8 oz. veg tan without any issues. I'm currently clicking 8 oz glued to 5 oz, ( 13 oz total) it works but I have to move/rotate the piece a couple times as it generates more pressure just under the screw. I don't think it's a big issue as I've seen a hydrolic bottle jack set up having similar issues. It's not a speedy set up but it can handle my hobby size operation. Depending on what volume your producing, this should determine what equipment you should purchase. If I were paying an employee to click out hundreds of patterns, I'd pick up a purpose build leather clicker press as they are faster.

I also use it as my wet molding press. I custom made my own molding blocks to use on this press. This is where it shines and works great as the even clamping pressure can hold my item in place till its dry.

You guys have some nice equipment. Im jealous. I'm going to buy an arbor press now ive made a few sales but at the mo I glue a piece of flat wood onto my metal stamps and embossing plates, then I place a flat metal disc ontop of the wood and apply some chunky G clamps. I make sure the leather is well and truly cased. I leave it on until the leather starts to dry. So far I have had good results even with my makers mark that has some fine detail on it. It only really works well on leather I haven't dyed yet.