Curbstrap2

C.H. EFFMAN & SON (PTY) LTD SADDLERS CAPE TOWN

Can anyone share information on this company and the quality of their goods?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330364920418&Category=114224&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Edited by Curbstrap2

Can anyone share information on this company and the quality of their goods?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/...s%3DI%26otn%3D2

Curbstrap,

I don't know anything about that saddle company but looking at the saddle I can tell you this: even if the shape of the saddle is perfect for your horse the positioning of the rigging is such that it will negate the fit 100%.

David Genadek

Curbstrap,

I don't know anything about that saddle company but looking at the saddle I can tell you this: even if the shape of the saddle is perfect for your horse the positioning of the rigging is such that it will negate the fit 100%.

David Genadek

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. I am curious as to your statement. Could you expand on that please?

I will see if I can get other photos of this saddle to post.

Edited by Curbstrap2

Hi Curbstrap.

I haven't seen this type of saddle made in Australia for several decades. When it was, it wasn't high on the totem pole. When you look at the current price of a well designed and made Australian stock saddle, starting at $4500.00 AUD…….. YOU DON'T GET SOMETHING WORTH WHILE FOR NOTHING.

Dennis

Edited by DennisLane

Hi Curbstrap.

I haven't seen this type of saddle made in Australia for several decades. When it was, it wasn't high on the totem pole. When you look at the current price of a well designed and made Australian stock saddle, starting at $4500.00 AUD…….. YOU DON'T GET SOMETHING WORTH WHILE FOR NOTHING.

Dennis

Yes, that is true. I own a Syd Hill and an original Aussie made Bates. This saddle caught my eye on Ebay and I was intrigued by it since it is a African saddle with Aussie influences. The panels are not serge, but leather like an English saddle.

Why is it a poor design in your opinion? Inquiring minds want to know.

no-rear-cinch.jpg

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. I am curious as to your statement. Could you expand on that please?

Sure, This type of saddle has a center configured rigging. So think of your saddle(first picture) as a rocking chair where the floor rocks instead of the chair. What you want is for the center of the rungs to make constant contact with the horses body. This is essentially right under where you are sitting. Therefore, on a center configured rigging the rigging itself needs to be in the center of the saddle. Being a center configured rigging is different than being in the centerfire position although in this case the position is also centerfire. In the second picture you can see the concept of what will happen if the rigging is too far forward as it is in the saddle you posted the link too. now some will present the argument that you will be sitting in the saddle and that will be holding it down which is fine but you are still turning the saddle into a big lever on a loop. You always have to keep in mind that your end goal is to be able to govern the five essentials of riding. Since this situation will cause undue pressure in the front of the saddle it stands a very good chance of tightening the trapezius and the lagissamus dorsi muscle which effectively will lock down the back end prevent the kind of movement you need for quality gaits.This will also affect the proper functioning of the stifle and hocks. The notion of sitting back in the saddle and throwing your legs forward will cause undue pressure on your legs and put you in a very dangerous position while riding.

David Genadekcenter-rigging.jpg

post-999-125469991864_thumb.jpg

post-999-125469994127_thumb.jpg

no-rear-cinch.jpg

Sure, This type of saddle has a center configured rigging. So think of your saddle(first picture) as a rocking chair where the floor rocks instead of the chair. What you want is for the center of the rungs to make constant contact with the horses body. This is essentially right under where you are sitting. Therefore, on a center configured rigging the rigging itself needs to be in the center of the saddle. Being a center configured rigging is different than being in the centerfire position although in this case the position is also centerfire. In the second picture you can see the concept of what will happen if the rigging is too far forward as it is in the saddle you posted the link too. now some will present the argument that you will be sitting in the saddle and that will be holding it down which is fine but you are still turning the saddle into a big lever on a loop. You always have to keep in mind that your end goal is to be able to govern the five essentials of riding. Since this situation will cause undue pressure in the front of the saddle it stands a very good chance of tightening the trapezius and the lagissamus dorsi muscle which effectively will lock down the back end prevent the kind of movement you need for quality gaits.This will also affect the proper functioning of the stifle and hocks. The notion of sitting back in the saddle and throwing your legs forward will cause undue pressure on your legs and put you in a very dangerous position while riding.

David Genadekcenter-rigging.jpg

Hi

I just had a good laugh when I clicked on the Saddle Photo. I saw a lot of these fake Aussie Saddles in the late 60's. From memory they sold for around $20.00. which was just a dollar or two above the Indian Junk that flooded the Market in 70's. Rocking Horse Saddles they were nicknamed because they rocked you back into the Cantle. Complaints were the only comments made about them. The Shoulder Leather was reasonable, made good Pump washers for Windmills an old Saddler commented to me. The style is from the 1910 era of Mass produced Saddles when they rode short in the Stirrup (like sitting in a Chair). Honestly they do have some value as a collectors piece as a Cape Saddle I think they were called. But not for Riding unless you want people to laugh at you. There is some good work involved in the making. Pity they did not have better style and fit. The Short Flaps are like that because of the short cutting area of Shoulder Squares they were made from. A pair of Flaps and Skirts to the Shoulder. Economy of usage being the order of the day. Labour was very Cheap though. Sold by the Dozen to the Shops.

Can't you just see the Gentleman sitting up like Jacky in it with a Bowler Hat and Hacking Cane, Jodphurs Ballooning in the wind, Trotting down the Street. It's a bit of history for a collection to hang on a Hook to remind us how lucky we are to-day.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Thanks for your input guys!

Thanks Jim, I have been trying to think how to explain why this is not a good example of a well made and designed Australian stock saddle. It would take me for ever, and more than likely sound like gobbly goop .

Dennis