Sign in to follow this  
LeatherCaptain

English Bridle For Holsters?

Hi, I've been using mostly Tooling/Skirting in 7/8 oz., drum dyed and the flesh dyed. However, I just received some sample swatches from Hermann Oak and a few of them were drum dyed English Bridle leather. I've been on a quest lately to figure out the best treatment for the inside of my holsters and really like how the flesh side of the HO English Bridle feels. It's a very smooth and not as fleshy as the tooling/skirting i've been getting. Even when I paste the tooling/skirting with gum trag, i'm no where near the quality of the English Bridle. The samples I received seem to be about 9/10 oz so maybe it's not a good representation of the feel of 6/7 leather but, is it a bad idea to order English Bridle for molding holsters? Is the wax/oil level too high to keep a nice firm form once it's been molded?

I dont think you will be able to wet mold that leather, atleast not like you do a normal holster.

It would probably work for a non molded leather holster though, you would just be doing a different style then the standard boned and molded holster.

I've used some 2/3 oz as a liner on some holsters in the past because of the feel and the ability to stay dyed. Of course it was just a lining behind some 5/6 oz tooling leather. I did notice it took a lot longer to get soak the leather for molding but not impossible and it seemed to retain the gun shape very nicely. I'm just fairly hesitant to try with straight 6/7 oz bridle. Especially at the 10 side min $$$$.

I've used bridle leather a lot and I have made some moulded items but nothing as intricate as a holster.

It moulds fine but needs to be soaked and cased for longer and I don't know how it would cope with the fine detail I've seen in some of the magnificent examples of holsters I've seen on this forum.

Be careful of the change in colour once it has dried as it can be quite different to the original - usually a fair bit lighter.

Gary