lightningad

To Wax Or Not To Wax, That Is The Question!

Is there any guidelines about when and when not to wax your threads?

I can understand it for items that may get wet, but i'm thinking of hand stitching a wallet and was wondering if its recommended or not to wax the threads for hemming the internal pockets?

adam

Is there any guidelines about when and when not to wax your threads?

I can understand it for items that may get wet, but i'm thinking of hand stitching a wallet and was wondering if its recommended or not to wax the threads for hemming the internal pockets?

adam

FWIW from the old grump; I use waxed linen for almost all stitching. Once in a while (very seldom) I use some finer braided nylon for 'hidden' stitching. I don't do many wallets, but I figure that a wallet WILL, somewhere in it's life, get wet. It'll be either from sweat, accidentally sitting in puddle of spilled liquid, or taking a misstep while fishing, but wet it will become. Mike.

FWIW from the old grump; I use waxed linen for almost all stitching. Once in a while (very seldom) I use some finer braided nylon for 'hidden' stitching. I don't do many wallets, but I figure that a wallet WILL, somewhere in it's life, get wet. It'll be either from sweat, accidentally sitting in puddle of spilled liquid, or taking a misstep while fishing, but wet it will become. Mike.

I'll be using the waxed leather for the main stitching. I was thinking more for the subtle inner stuff like the credit card sleeves (i'm using recycled suede for these, so need to hem the tops). It'll probably look a bit neater if i use unwaxed.

thanks