Sign in to follow this  
Randy Cornelius

shark skin holster rig for a Model 36 Glock

Thought I would post this project that I made for myself. It is black shark skin holster rig for a Model 36 Glock that I carry on duty in my other life.

leather_080.jpg

post-62-1189565686_thumb.jpg

Nice...I have been looking into getting into holstermaking myself, I had never really considered Shark skin. How does it hold up and feel compared to the traditional 8-9 oz tooling leather?

Randy,

Very nice looking rig! Is the shark backed by any other leather? I've never worked with anything but cowhide, so I have no idea how shark forms or molds. Are there any retention devices on the holster? My agency never required them, and I always figured that anybody who got close enough to put a hand on my gun was close enough to work with, but some of the agencies of guys I made holsters for required them.

If you would, I'd like to see some other views of your work, and also learn more about working with sharkskin.

Mike

To answer some of the questions. I got the shark skin from Jerry VanAmberg while I was in Sheridan at the trade show this spring. I cannot remember the price per square foot but it was expensive, 20.00 or so as I remember. The shark is only about 5 oz so you almost have to back it with veg tan, at least I did for the belt and mag pouch for this project. It molds fairly well. I cheeted a little on this project I took one of those cheep plastic holsters you see, won't name a brand. I cut off the belt loop and molded the shark around the front. Glued veg tan black to the back and cut the holes for the belt loops. It seems to be holding up really well as I have been wearing it every day for the last 2 months. The shark is very durable leather and is #2 next to Elephant which is near bullet proof as a leather can be as far as wear. The shark hide is odd shaped and you can only get 3-4 belts out of a hide the rest can be used for other projects such as holsters etc. I encourage anyone to try some new leathers to work with as it is interesting. Stringray is really interesting to work with but that's another subject.

I will post some of my other holsters when I have the time.

Randy

very nice randy!

i haven't seen a shark skin rig before. very cool!!

please post some of your others.

Very cool idea. Someone else asked, and I'm curious as well, is there any type of retention system in this rig? Very good work.

It's got an internal retention from the plastic holster that I covered with the shark

Nice work Randy! I thought you were going to say that the sharkskin was from a pool of defense lawyers carefully tanned :thumbsup: . I'm not much on Glocks except in extreme conditions but my last issue was a Glock that I qualified with, cleaned and returned to its "Tupperware" box then used my Sig or Beretta. Your Glock looks good in that holster and belt.

As for exotic leathers-wow....good idea. I found a good resource at Hidecrafter Leather in Fort Worth. Ask Ron to check with his supplier Dermatan Exotic Leathers. They have had some really beautiful sting ray skins lately-pricey but pretty. It's a good resource and they are making a comeback under new ownership.

Happy crafting and stay safe.

JKK

Randy,

Very cool sharkskin rig. I met Jerry VanAmberg at Witicha Falls a couple of years ago. He has some nice exotics.

I built a sharkskin pocket holster for Beretta Tom Cat. I carry it for a backup while working at the PD. I also glued and stitched the shark around a plastic holster. Brillant Randys must think alike :angel_not: I build another one for my NAA .22.

That one I wrapped around cowhide. That one I hang upside down around my neck.

Once I get this photo thing figured out, I will post a photo.

Randy

mmm, nice job Randy - i like the look of the shark and moulding it gives it even more depth and dimension.

very clean look..and purposeful

Very nice rig, the shark skin really makes it stand out!!!!! Love the belt also, very good!!