Sign in to follow this  
Reds Leather

Resolene Taking Off My Dye!

Ok, if this has been brought up in a thread already, someone please point me there and i shall leave this alone. Buuuut, my resole, being put on very lightly with high a high density sponge, is taking off my dye! I finally had a good brown that i was happy about, we all know how browns are, and then the resolene started taking my color off! Im 10 shades of pissed! Anyone have any tips? Wrong applicator? Should i be diluting it? Everyone says they use air brushes, i dont have one yet, but i do have a spray bottle.... will that work?

PLEASE HELP! MORE GREAT WORK BEING AFFECTED BY HORRIBLE FINISHING! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Red deadsubject.gif

Ok, if this has been brought up in a thread already, someone please point me there and i shall leave this alone. Buuuut, my resole, being put on very lightly with high a high density sponge, is taking off my dye! I finally had a good brown that i was happy about, we all know how browns are, and then the resolene started taking my color off! Im 10 shades of pissed! Anyone have any tips? Wrong applicator? Should i be diluting it? Everyone says they use air brushes, i dont have one yet, but i do have a spray bottle.... will that work?

PLEASE HELP! MORE GREAT WORK BEING AFFECTED BY HORRIBLE FINISHING! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Red deadsubject.gif

Hey Red,

First, a couple of questions. What kind of dye are you using? How long did you let it dry? Did you oil the piece after dying or before? Did you let that dry/soak in? All of these will affect how much color resolene takes off. From your post I see that you didn't dilute it. Some folks do, some don't. I do dilute to 50/50 with water and that does help some but the other factors play a part as well.

Chris

Hey Red,

First, a couple of questions. What kind of dye are you using? How long did you let it dry? Did you oil the piece after dying or before? Did you let that dry/soak in? All of these will affect how much color resolene takes off. From your post I see that you didn't dilute it. Some folks do, some don't. I do dilute to 50/50 with water and that does help some but the other factors play a part as well.

Chris

Thanks for replying so quick! That was a mix of Fiebings Alcohol Brown and EcoFlo Antique Gel. But ive used the Resolene with just the alchol and just the antique and had the same result. I did oil it before dying. Let that soak in four about 8 hours (overnight). No i didnt dilute it, didnt really know if that was something i should do or not. Got any ideas why this is happening?

Cam

Red, All of what Chris said. Plus,...dilute 50/50.....oil and immediately dye. It makes the dye go on evenly if you are doing it with a dauber or sponge. Let the dye set overnight and "rub-it-out" just like you would the black. Any excess will rub out on the rag instead of the Resolene taking it off. JMHO. Semper-fi Mike

Yep, diluting is generally a good idea with resolene. Aside from helping it to not streak as much it will be less harsh on your colors. It will still pull some color though. As Marine MP suggested, dying right after oiling can help the dye penetrate. Buffing the color pre-finish definitely helps take off any residual color that would normally be pulled by the finish.

Airbrushing Resolene on would eliminate the problem completely as you wouldn't have to rub it on but the tips above should help. Keep in mind though, you will still get some rub off so plan accordingly. It's just the nature of applying a finish by hand. One thing to note, Oil dyes tend to have a lot less rub off if you have access to them.