Tallbald

How Much Rivet Shank To Leave When Cutting To Length For Hammering Round-Over?

I have begun using #9 solid copper rivets for some belt key ring carrier applications. Quick, attractive and rugged, I've made costly mistakes a number of times when I used wire cutters to trim the rivet shank to length in preparation for rounding over.

I've done several searches here and on Youtube looking for answers without finding anything clear.

1). I'm using #9 rivets that measure 0.156 inch in diameter on the shank. How long do I leave the protruding shank when I cut the excess off, in order to get a nice mushroomed expansion?

2). I've been using just the wire cutter section of needle nose pliers to cut the rivet and of course it leaves a sharp chisel point that has to be rounded over. Should I be using a different cutting tool to cut the excess shank? Should I use a file to square the end of the rivet shank before rounding over?

3). My rivet setter is from Springfield Leather. There's a drilled blind hole in one side of the setting tool that snugly fits the diameter of the rivet shank. Is this drilled hole a gauge of some type?

I appreciate help in learning these things so very much. My wife has our camera out of town with her or I would share a photo of the drilled hole. Thanks. Don.

Edited by Tallbald

Don left you an answer over on cascity.com

Don left you an answer over on cascity.com

Out of curiosity I went over to cascity.com to see what I could find....

wasted a lot of time, even did a search for info on copper rivets....

I'm not a member so I couldn't search their forum.

Does it have to be so hard to share that info?

:unsure: I wonder how many others have done the same? :coffeecomp:

Cheryl, here is a link to the response to Tallbald.http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,53850.0.html Even on Leatherworker.net forums you have to be a member to see pictures and so on. It only takes a few moments to sign up it is free and if you are interested in western gear, holsters belts, chaps, etc it is a good place to go under the leathershop forums there are all kinds of helpful threads and show me your stuff threads. The FAQ how tos has a lot of good information on old time dyes and so on. If any of that type of stuff is of intrest to you it is worth a few seconds of your time.

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you all. I posted both forums because members on both are so helpful and responsive. Right now I have five key ring belt loops waiting for me to cut the two rivets each have ready. Last night I ruined three pieces because I took a guess at trim length. I just closed up shop rather than losing more to inexperience.

I have difficulty with most all forum search features because to me it's hard to summarize what I'm looking for, or I may come to find out a different phrase would have done the trick. For example "rivet cut length" versus "rivet trim length" gives different selections from which to choose, but in practice "rivet sizing" might have been what I was supposed to use all along. With Youtube I find it best to look only when I can watch a film entirely.

Thanks again folks. Don.

Tallbald - my only suggestion is to use some scrap leather to figure what length to cut your rivets - then write it down...

I can't tell you how many different projects I have tried to figure something out... again. Writing it down in a small notebook

saves me a lot of time. If unsure, use scrap leather to figure something out first, before doing it on your near-finished project.

That will save a lot of frustration, time and money.

Sometimes I need to cut rivets down and after snipping them off I use a pair of needle nose pliers and give the cut end a squeeze

and then use the pointy end of a modeler to open the cut end of the rivet up and round it out...

I hope this helps

Edited by LNLeather

First post here. I don't have a mentor to work with so I've had to stumble my way on to information via the Internet. The best tutorial I found for setting rivets is the little short video on Springfield Leather's website. To set my rivets and use the rivet tool I just follow exactly the video. In the video he explains the hole in your rivet set tool and how to use it properly.

It's the fourth video down the list....

http://springfieldleather.com/321/Videos%253A-Helpful-Hints/

I use these to cut my rivets. As a long time mechanic I learned that when you have to use excessive force with small tools you wind up not doing a quality job. The long handles make it as easy as clipping your fingernails with clippers. I got mine from Amazon for something like 15 dollars.

https://www.channellock.com/35-300P-Concretors-Nippers.aspx

Edited by Ayers Garage

I use a pair of horse hoof trimming nippers, Leave 1/8th to 3/16 post above the leather, a 20 oz hammer.Use the concave setter, hit it twice and I'm good

wig190861 and I use similar methods.

I put the rivet through the hole(s) and lay it on a small piece of scrap steel about 2 inches by 4 inches that I basically only use for rivets, . . . it's just a piece of clean carbon steel flat stock.

I put on the washer, . . . then use the hole in the end of my setter, designed for that purpose, and tap the washer down with the setter and my 10 oz or so, little ball peen hammer.

I then cut it about 1/8 of an inch above the washer, . . . and begin the shaping process with the back side of my ball peen hammer.

I end up with a couple of good strokes on the "rounder" indentation in the foot of my setter, . . . and I'm done.

Again, as mentioned above, . . . don't be afraid to waste a dozen rivets and some scrap leather doing a little practice. It will pay great dividends in the long run.

May God bless,

Dwight