Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

When bird dogs don't hunt birds

Took all 3 of my dogs out grouse hunting today. Had only covered about a mile, when the 2 males decided to take a break from birds, and decided to check out some little animal. All I could see of them was their backs above the grass, and when I finally got to them to see what they were doing, I saw that both of the dogs had hundreds and hundreds of porcupine quills in their faces, mouths, necks and chests! I immediately snapped on their leashes, and tied all 3 of them to a tree so I could further assess the situation. Both dogs had at least a hundred quills in the mouths, so muzzling them to remove the quills was out of the question. Not wanting to get bitten, my only other option was to call the vet in on a Saturday afternoon - an expensive venture to be sure. Now normally, I never shoot anything I don't intend on eating, but I was so mad that I went over by that stupid porcupine, who had by then climbed a small tree, chambered a shell, and sent him to the big pin cushion in the sky.

Got the the vet's office, and both dogs were sedated, and the vet and I worked together, side by side, until all possible quills were removed. There were some that got into the roofs of mouths, and had to be removed surgically, and some that broke off at skin level, and had to be fished out. Some were just easier to pull all the way through, such as the ones that had pierced the tongue. Spent the better part of 2 hours at that vet clinic, but finally we're all home again. The little female stayed close to me, and never went near that porcupine - smart dog...

So much for hunting next weekend. I'll be working to pay off that vet bill.

Thanks for listening to my rant, I feel much better now.

Sorry to hear about that. I have a red heeler that got into a needle coon one time. If you know anything about heelers they tend to be a little aggressive she had em all in her mouth I live so far from the vet and it was a late Sunday afternoon I decided to pull them my self. Long story short I ended up wrapping her in a towel and still got bit a time or two. Needless to say she hasnt done that again.

That sounds like quiet the ordeal. Wonder if they will remember that for next time lol.

And Tkleather I know all about healers, great dogs but man are they stubborn, pain resistant, and love killin critters. I think the family had about 8 of them as a kid.

I had that happen to one to my dogs years ago. First thing I did was shoot the porcupine out of the tree. Next thing I did was cut the tips of the quills off - I'd heard that it lets the air out of the quills and eases the pain. Then, yep it was a Saturday, we headed to the vet's office. I left him there and picked him up on Monday.

I get the idiot home and he immediately went hunting for that, or any other porcupine. A "knowledgeable" neighbor told me I would have to put him down because he'd never stop. I didn't put him down and he never got tangled up with a porcupine again. But I watched him like a hawk for the rest of his life.

That sounds like quiet the ordeal. Wonder if they will remember that for next time lol.

And Tkleather I know all about healers, great dogs but man are they stubborn, pain resistant, and love killin critters. I think the family had about 8 of them as a kid.

Nope, they don't remember it for the next time! Nor do they remember the time(s) they tangle with skunks!head_hurts_kr.gif