Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Suggestions For The Right Russet Dye?

Here's a picture of the color I want to duplicate.. It's a basic russet color that was everywhere during the 40s & 50s (the old army 'brown shoes') but that you never see on anything much now. I love it and want to know what dye you guys suggest I buy to get as close to this color as possible. I'm wanting to do several items with it, from small pieces to large hides.... which brings me to my second question: what set up would be good for spraying large hides (covering a ratan loveseat, etc). Maybe an airbrush.. but that seams too small.... maybe an automotive sprayer, but that seems too big. What do ya'll think?

bprhprwbwkkgrhquokjueue.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks!!

If you dont like the Fiebings Dyes Take a look at the Anglus Dyes there might be a color

that will match what you want.check the web site "www.turtlefeathres.com"

By all means go for the Air Brush, also try the Prevail sprayer that Tandy sells,

Edited by Luke Hatley

i order my leather already dyed, but when i have to dye something to match my russett, i use the feibings light brown pro oil dye...it is the exact same color match.

Tony

Thanks you guys... Luke, that link did not work for me, can you check that the spelling is right (I tried several variations). Troop, are you saying that the fiebing's light brown pro oil dye matches the color in the picture I posted OR that it matches the russet leather that you buy pre-dyed? Do you have a source for leather that matches the color of the shoes I posted ? I could use both veg tan (like the shoes above) and/or chrome as well for other projects. Thanks ya'll!

Thanks you guys... Luke, that link did not work for me, can you check that the spelling is right (I tried several variations). Troop, are you saying that the fiebing's light brown pro oil dye matches the color in the picture I posted OR that it matches the russet leather that you buy pre-dyed? Do you have a source for leather that matches the color of the shoes I posted ? I could use both veg tan (like the shoes above) and/or chrome as well for other projects. Thanks ya'll!

Doug just do a search for "turtle feathers " paint

sometimes pictures can be decieving.... the color in the picture i am seeing looks more like chestnut to me than russett. but if it is truely russett the feibings pro oil light brown is an exact match....(russett , to me is more of a golden color) i get my leather from Wickett and Craig....give them a call and ask for Matt. he can send you a color swatch so you can match it to the shoes and they are real good at making the customer happy.

Tony

Yep, the color of these shoes in particular change a huge amount depending on what light you're seeing them in. That flash brings out the red in them but it's not near as detectable all the time. The thing is though that these shoes were contract made for the military and several different manufacturers produced them but the color was almost always identicle, a brown with redish tones. The point is that this color must have been very common if not easy to come by and produce items in constistancy. So these older Dye producers should still be using the same formulas is my assumption.... not sure which companies are still in operation though.

I will call W&C tomorrow and get some samples, thanks for sharing. I have looked at their site and was dissapointed that they aren't much by way of pics. I saw the page with liitle squares photographed but it's not much help via my monitor unfortunately.

Doug - I think Tony is correct. The color looks closer to Chestnut. Here is the link to Wickett & Craig's color chart http://www.wickett-craig.com/swatches.html

Check out the English Bridle Chestnut.

If you look at Fiebling's color chart http://www.fiebing.com/Color_Charts.aspx it looks like their light brown is closer to matching what you are looking for versus their Russet.

Hard to tell.

Ken