Looking for suggestions on making pattern for small boys batwing chaps.

I have some patterns for adult sizes - though I have yet to make a pair. Unable to visualize them in sizes to fit a 5 and 6 year old.

My grandsons would each like a pair for Christmas, so Santa's workshop will be busy, if I can get a starting point. All the leather and hardware is on hand, just need a pattern.

Any help, links, or suggestions greatly appreciated. Only three leatherworking days till Christmas!

Borrow another kid the about the same size and make you a pattern. Rough out a pattern and see how it fits the kid you borrow and go from there. You already know what they should look like. Several years ago i had a customer bring a pattern for bat wings he made for his daughter out of news paper. I took that and transfured it to poster board and cut them out and they fit perfect.

No 'kidnap-able' kids of the right size close.

Did have brand new jeans, purchased at OshKosh in Vegas during NFR, ready to wrap for Xmas.

Worked good for making a pattern. Will try to attach pic from phone of work in progress.

Managed to finish chaps in time and they were a hit.

Pics of finished project are still on New camera and will try to post when downloaded to computer.

Here are the finished products.

post-36862-0-81947500-1358204687_thumb.jpost-36862-0-46669900-1358204590_thumb.jpost-36862-0-13382300-1358204610_thumb.j

Open to comments

JJ

looking good JJ

I was asked to make matching chinks for a friend's husband, who I know, and her stepson, who I had never met. I was running on "he's about this tall". I found a great site - http://shop.cottonon.com/size-guide/ that has size charts. Using the "body dimensions for children 1-8", I used his height, got typical measurements for everything else, and ended up with a perfetc fit sight unseen. The only thing off was length, but I intentionally added a few inches knowing they could hem or trim.

Good luck and have fun

Try http://shop.cottonon.com/size-guide/. I used a kid's height, who I had never met, and found all the corresponding measurements on the chart "body dimensions for children 1-8". I used those to make a pattern based on the adult shape, and kid measurements. Everything was a perfect fit except length, which I purposely over-estimated knowing we could always hem or trim.

Good Luck