hunteil

Stamped Letters & Want Them As White Inlays

Hello, I just finished stamping out all my pieces for this project and then proceeded to test paint some samples to see how to most effectively create the look I need to create. I tried the following methods with angelus leather paint in white and black. The look I'm trying to get is a black border with white stamped nordic runes.

Methods used:

• (Black painted leather stamped) fine paint brush with white on brush. (too messy, not clean enough)
  • Repeated the above one, then used a stiff black sponge brush with black paint and got the Orange text result in picture... I did this by accident and now that I look at it look the best...
  • (Black painted leather stamped) watered down white paint and slowly added mix into groves in leather. (crappy turn out as shown in picture.)
  • (Black painted leather stamped) painted grooves white and use clothe to remove. (caused rough feeling white residue on black and made it look like crap and couldn't get off the bad white paint and the letter wasn't fully filled either. I tried this again and the white just dries way too quick for this method to work correctly.)
  • (White painted leather stamped) Used Block dyeing technique with black paint. (Got black paint in letters and the black didn't cover everything i wanted covered. :-/)

The picture of my test sample is attached.

The orange letters shown seems to look the best now... Is this the correct method? is there a easier way to get the rune letters white? I have a lot to do with this project with little time still, any advice would be appreciated.

post-35909-0-14372900-1427468105_thumb.j

Hunteil. After looking at your pics I have a suggestion. Dye the area where the letters are.... all white, with a high quality dye. If what I am looking at is the final result you would have to dye over the black ( something like Tarrago 2 step ). Do the whole area in white, outline the letters with a groover or maybe even a well done swivel knife cut if you have a steady hand, and now do around the letters with your black. When you want something in relief like this, always use the base dye first. At least that is how I would suggest, I am sure you will get other opinions. Good luck ! Eccho

I struggled with similar problems when painting black leather, and what worked for me

1. Practice painting USE QUALITY BRUSHES

2. Load the brush bristles heavy with paint, rotate the brush as you paint so that the brush is always laying down paint evenly.

3. allow to dry an repeat

Takes me at least 3-4 coats to get good paint coverage

20141104_150747_zps616sjvsn.jpg

padfolio2_zpscc081e8e.jpg

VanFlowersStrap2A_zps8f2db16c.jpg

guitarstrap1_zpse0a32ff7.jpg

WonderWomanStrap2_zpsd24dca62.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Colt, that is some absolutely stunning work!

Thanks for sharing it. It is inspiring me to try painting leather, something I wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

Michelle

Great work Colt. I ended up buying a new, very fine brush with an angle to it. I'm trying that now. It seems to be working. But it smudges a lot still so I'm going to have to do a lot of clean up anyways.

If I color outside the lines, I use something like an exacto knife blade to scrape it off.

I forgot to mention that I thin the acrylic paint with some distilled water so that it brushes easier. Applying several thin coats is a lot better than apply 1-2 heavy coats. It sticksto the leather much better.