davidna

Louis Roth Notebook

I stumbled onto this website while doing some research about a box of stuff I had in my garage. In this box was a notebook by Louis Roth. I love tools (I'm a goldsmith) and was wondering what the heck this is? Any ideas?

photobucket-1958-1316024112861.jpg

Looks like a swivel knife pattern. Someone else may give a more in depth answer.

Looks to me like Lou Roth was tinkering with the idea of a swivel knife with a light in it. Not sure why a person would want a light in their swivel knife, but as I recall, Louis had a flair for the dramatic. I remember reading in The Leather Craftsman that he had his Craftools plated with real gold and he used gemstones on his dye bottles to show the color. Lou did many, many tooling demonstrations around the country, and the world - perhaps he was thinking about a fancy light show to razzle-dazzle the audience with. LOL

He and Al Stohlman were pretty good buddies and worked on many things together, Al got into jewelry making with Lou, and it was from this that Al ended up decorating his swivel knife with jewels and such (That knife is what the fancy one that Tandy sold or still sells is based on).

I know that I, for one, and I'm sure there are others here who would love to see any more interesting tidbits out of the notebook

It's a Swivel Knife!

Louis Roth or Lou Roth was somehow involved with the development of the Craftool Company based on Los Angeles. This tool line is the same line that Tandy Company and later Tandy Leather Factory currently sell. He later produced Craftaids. He was also involved in several lines of tools to include RBS which are collectible according to WyomingSlick. I am sure that others on here have more information for you on Lou Roth.

Post some more pictures and you will probably get all or most of the answers you want.

This is a find for you!

Edited by King's X

That's got to be some interesting reading!!! Thanks for sharing.

This is a neat little piece of leather working history. It's cool that you found out a little about the notebook and a place where people that know something about the original owner of it hang out. I hope that if you decide to get rid of it, it goes to a good home where it will be appreciated and preserved. Thanks for sharing!!