esantoro

rare earth magnets for bag closure

I was cruising ebay looking at bags and got the idea to incorporate two 1" by 1/8" circular rare earth magnets into the bag flap and face panel as a flap closure, but no lock. These magnets have about 58 lbs of pulling power.

I was looking through the OTB catalog ans saw that their closure magnets cost about $3.50 apiece and I bet they have nowhere near the pulling power of these rare earth magnets that can be had for maybe $.75 to 1.50 apiece.

I'm not sure if this would detract from the masculine features of the bag, but I do like the idea that the Maverick would be incorporating some unseen ubiquitous force.

Do you think the size of the magnets should be larger or smaller.? there is the issue of magnetic sensitive electronics people carry in their bags, but I think there are ways to obviate any problems.

I'll post links to bags and magnets later.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

ed, i was just looking at ebay regarding the magnets, on one site they said that the magnets should be kept at least 1 foot from electronics including credit cards. looking forward to see how this pans out.

ed, i was just looking at ebay regarding the magnets, on one site they said that the magnets should be kept at least 1 foot from electronics including credit cards. looking forward to see how this pans out.

credit cards, uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh!

But what about if there is 4/5 oz of leather between the magnet and anything else? That would certain lessen the force. There also might be some kind of material I could put between the back of the magnet and the leather covering.

I should test this out on a credit card I no longer use. stitch it into some leather, run the card across it 200 times about five inches away. Then go to taco bell and see if I can purchase a bean burrito with the card. If I get my bean burrito, then i'll swipe the card directly over the leather, return to Taco Bell and see if this time I can buy a burrito supreme. If I end up damaging the magnetic strip on the card, I'll have the bank issue me a new card, or I'll just cancel the account -- always looking to do R&D on the cheap.

Ed, who never "seems" to tire of experimentation and certainly is never bored but sometimes a bit hungry

just though of something as i was heading out the door. you don't need two magnets, though that would make for a stronger closure. You just need one magnet and one piece of metal. The metal can be placed on the bag face. the magnet on the bag flap, which would lessen the chance of a magnetic force damaging anything electronic or magnetic inside the bag. Additional material can still be placed behind the metal plate for insurance.

The only risk now is from incidental contact between the magnet in the flap and contents of the bag. But again material can be placed between the magnet in the flap and the outside surface of the flap, so that the strongest magnetic surface is on the inside of the flap to allow contact with a metal disc on the front panel.

However, I'm still making the run for the border.

Ed

These closures have messed up MANY PDA's and Cell phones. In fact Apple is warning folks not to use anything with a magnet near the iPhone as it will make it inoperable. (I am an Iphone user and follow these things) Apparently a company came out with a nifty case for them with magnets, then had to buy it's customers new phones when they died. Bad bad bad.

My 2 cents, .00000927 cents after taxes,

Andy

just though of something as i was heading out the door. you don't need two magnets, though that would make for a stronger closure. You just need one magnet and one piece of metal. The metal can be placed on the bag face. the magnet on the bag flap, which would lessen the chance of a magnetic force damaging anything electronic or magnetic inside the bag. Additional material can still be placed behind the metal plate for insurance.

The only risk now is from incidental contact between the magnet in the flap and contents of the bag. But again material can be placed between the magnet in the flap and the outside surface of the flap, so that the strongest magnetic surface is on the inside of the flap to allow contact with a metal disc on the front panel.

However, I'm still making the run for the border.

Ed

These closures have messed up MANY PDA's and Cell phones. In fact Apple is warning folks not to use anything with a magnet near the iPhone as it will make it inoperable. (I am an Iphone user and follow these things) Apparently a company came out with a nifty case for them with magnets, then had to buy it's customers new phones when they died. Bad bad bad.

My 2 cents, .00000927 cents after taxes,

Andy

That's enough for me. R&D is over and the magnet idea is now in the trash bin. I'll have to find some other excuse to go to taco bell.

By the way, anyone interested in going in on 600 nickel plated flap closures. OTB has a cool one on its catalog back cover. They can tool a similar one but minimum order is 600 at 4.50 per piece. Just though i'd ask, since the magnet idea is a no go. I hope I don't win the auction for 10 magnets.

Thanks, Andy, for putting the idea to rest.

ed

Well, the magnetic closure idea is out. Thankfully, too, as there were loads of problems just waiting to happen.

I went ahead and bought a bunch of the 3/4" and 1" magnets anyway to put up all over the shop to hold my tools wherever and whenever I want to hang them on my steel shelves.

Ed

Oh boy, did this ever set me giggling up a storm.

I had a 'brilliant' idea to use rare earth magnets to hold mantling onto the helmets of a few Knights that I make arming clothes for.

I was told that the Knight lost his stainless steel helmet off his head when he went under a low I-beam.

That idea was canned fast.

I'm back onto this magnetic closure idea, but for a case for files and documents.

I've got a good method for stitching the 1/8" by 3/4" magnetic disc into place but was thinking that instead of using two magnets I should use one magnet and one metal disc that the magnet can attract.

Is it possible to by metal discs of specified sizes?

Thanks,

ed

You could try your local motor mechanic, and see if he has 'core plugs' or 'freeze plugs'. These come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but are mostly concave steel discs.

Well the magnets work great for some other things.I have done a couple of flapover sheaths using them. I did them just as a standard inlay and covered them with some real thin deerskin.I would suggest two magnets.Dave

this is one I did that way sorry no pics of the magnet inlay.

Lacedpython6.jpg

I'm back onto this magnetic closure idea, but for a case for files and documents.

I've got a good method for stitching the 1/8" by 3/4" magnetic disc into place but was thinking that instead of using two magnets I should use one magnet and one metal disc that the magnet can attract.

Is it possible to by metal discs of specified sizes?

Thanks,

ed

Ed,

Try your local hardware store or Lowe's and look at electrical boxes.The old

style are metal and they have round knockouts about 3/4 to one inch diameter

that might work for you.They are easy to knock out with a screw driver and

a pair of pliers.

WINDY

Well the magnets work great for some other things.I have done a couple of flapover sheaths using them. I did them just as a standard inlay and covered them with some real thin deerskin.I would suggest two magnets.Davethis is one I did that way sorry no pics of the magnet inlay.Lacedpython6.jpg

Beautiful sheath. Did you use two magnets or just one which attracts the steel of the knife blade? I just finished my mock-up using a a magnet on the flap and a magnet on the front panel. The magnets are backed with an oversize disc of the same 4/5 oz leather and stitched into place. I'll post pictures later. Magnetic discs used were 1/8" x 3/4" with a pulling force of around 50 lbs each, which is reduced by the layer of leather.Thanks,Ed
Here's a possible site.Disk ManufacturerRegards,Ben
Thanks, Ben. I'll give them a call.Ed
Ed, Try your local hardware store or Lowe's and look at electrical boxes.The oldstyle are metal and they have round knockouts about 3/4 to one inch diameterthat might work for you.They are easy to knock out with a screw driver and a pair of pliers. WINDY
Windy,I was thinking exactly of those electrical socket knockouts.but haven't seen them around for years.Thanks,Ed

Oh boy, did this ever set me giggling up a storm.

I had a 'brilliant' idea to use rare earth magnets to hold mantling onto the helmets of a few Knights that I make arming clothes for.

I was told that the Knight lost his stainless steel helmet off his head when he went under a low I-beam.

That idea was canned fast.

How many times do they go near i-beams in tourneys, though? Unless... oh boy, funny picture... they cocked their hands back for a wrap and got their gauntlets stuck on the back of their heads... *snerk*

Hi,

We use magnets in our case pockets once in a while and people do put their cell phones in the pockets with magnetic closures.

After reading this thread I became alwamred and I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anyone who had a problem with them. Not to say that they "can't" damage an electronic item but my take on this is if they are separated from the items by several layers of leather then it's likely to be no problem. Additionally you could also put a thin layer of brass or some other material that blocks the magnetic force. (if that would work, I am not sure)

Here is a picture of how we used some fairly powerful magnets for a flap closure. I don't know if they are rare-earth magnets but they are the kind that will snap and pinch your finger if you aren't careful.

DSC04121Q.jpg

DSC04118Q.jpg

In this case the magnets were sewn in between layers and the leather was arranged to fit like a puzzle piece.

In any event I'd be interested to read the accounts of the situations where a case manufacturer's magnetic clasps damaged someone's phone or other electronic item because I also am very enamored of using magnets in various ways for closures and the like.

Here is a thing we did where I put a sort of semi-hidden compartment in a customer's case lid

18.jpg

19.jpg