I am making a holster for my 1872 open top. I first dyed a sample with british tan. Looked great.

Then I dyed the holster and it looked OK, but as it dried it seemed to get redder and redder. Short story, it's more red than I would like.

What is the chance of dying it a darker browner brown and come out all right.

I've got making the mistakes down pat :wavey: , now to get it right

Jack

As you know dying can be tricky. Do some more testing on scrap. You can mix the british tan and another brown to get the shade you want. Just keep track of the proportions so that you can duplicate it when you get to the real thing. Keep in mind the original difference between scrap and your holster. It sounds like you want to keep some of the red tone. Apply the dye very lightly, and let it dry thoroughly between coats. When you first load up whatever you are using as an applicator, press it onto some paper towel or other paper to remove much of the dye, enabling you to apply a light coat of dye.

Good luck!

Ann

As you know dying can be tricky. Do some more testing on scrap. You can mix the british tan and another brown to get the shade you want. Just keep track of the proportions so that you can duplicate it when you get to the real thing. Keep in mind the original difference between scrap and your holster. It sounds like you want to keep some of the red tone. Apply the dye very lightly, and let it dry thoroughly between coats. When you first load up whatever you are using as an applicator, press it onto some paper towel or other paper to remove much of the dye, enabling you to apply a light coat of dye.

Good luck!

Ann

[/quot

Thanks Ann

I'm really looking for more of a brown color.

I'll experiment a little more.

Thanks again

Jack

Well - the same advice applies - light coats till you get what you want. It's much easier to overdo it than to get it spot on.

Have fun!

Ann

Thanks Ann

I'm really looking for more of a brown color.

I'll experiment a little more.

Thanks again

Jack