angie m

Embossed Gator Or Croc

Is there a difference between gator or croc hide? I have a customer wanting gator - but the hide I like is an Italian embossed croc? Is there a difference?

PLEASE help!!

:)

Embossed is not the real thing so you probably would not notice any difference.In the real hides Gator usually has bigger bumps on his back and the scales are usually a bit bigger.Most of the croc I have seen is smaller in size too.Does your customer want real Gator?Dave

Edited by DCKNIVES

Embossed is not the real thing so you probably would not notice any difference.In the real hides Gator usually has bigger bumps on his back and the scales are usually a bit bigger.Most of the croc I have seen is smaller in size too.Dave

THANKS!! Most of the hides say croc, but my client wants gator - I can't tell the difference.

Well,, there small differences none the less, but if the customer wants Gator then get them gator and charge accordingly.Just because you can't see the differences in the two should make it all right to substitue without the clients approval.Go here Ostrich Market and you can see the real hides not embossed. While they sell Nile Crocodile and Gator, they also sell a nice Caimen hide which is a close cousin of the Croc.Dave

Theres a big difference in price on the real hides, gator is alot more than caimen

Is there a difference between gator or croc hide? I have a customer wanting gator - but the hide I like is an Italian embossed croc? Is there a difference?

PLEASE help!!

:)

I'm with Dave....if they want alligator then that is what you should give them. I think it would be good to explain to your customer what the differences are. Dave sent me to the Ostrich Market (thanks again Dave!) a couple of years ago and I couldn't be happier with them. Henry will help you understand the price differences and physical differences between alligator, crocodile, caimaen, etc. ....he's a great guy. Then you can communicate with your customer. I usually am only making belts and small items so I buy bellies and prefer the smaller scales because I think they give more interest to the piece.

Bobby