naturedog

Leather edging

I have a business making dog collars with semi-precious stones and the last process is to glue two pieces of leather together ( basically a leather backing) so that the rim settings do not show through the back side. I am looking for a thick edging that I can put on the sides of my collars so that they look kind of like one piece. They need to be water resistant and tough enough to be on dogs. I have a leather key chain (see picture) that has the edging that I am wanting but I can't seem to locate anything that is thick enough. I have tried various edging materials but they tend to be too thin. If anybody has any ideas on what I could use I would be so happy.

key_chain_3.jpgkey_chain_4.jpg

post-10342-1243461438_thumb.jpg

post-10342-1243461478_thumb.jpg

That's probably just a well burnished edge with "Edge Ink". I know Zack White sells it, as do other suppliers.

esantoro, a member here, did several topic discussions on his search for an edge...look through his posts, there's several of them on this.

That could be edge paint with some burnishing involved. Try the matte plus from Campbell Bosworth.

ed

The edging also looks very similar to what Jack George uses on its cases. I think JG may be using a special machine. Campbell Bosworth's product is similar to what JG uses.

I like that key chain. Could you post a full picture of it?

ed

I have a business making dog collars with semi-precious stones and the last process is to glue two pieces of leather together ( basically a leather backing) so that the rim settings do not show through the back side. I am looking for a thick edging that I can put on the sides of my collars so that they look kind of like one piece. They need to be water resistant and tough enough to be on dogs. I have a leather key chain (see picture) that has the edging that I am wanting but I can't seem to locate anything that is thick enough. I have tried various edging materials but they tend to be too thin. If anybody has any ideas on what I could use I would be so happy.

key_chain_3.jpgkey_chain_4.jpg

thats gotta be just a nice burnished edge you can see the two pieces and a line right in the center.

It looks like a buildup of EdgeKote. It's available at any leather supplier.

The edging also looks very similar to what Jack George uses on its cases. I think JG may be using a special machine. Campbell Bosworth's product is similar to what JG uses.

I like that key chain. Could you post a full picture of it?

ed

Thanks for the info. I have a lot of searching to do I guess. It is just strange because it actually looks almost like a rubber/plastic substance. You can't even make an indentation in it.

Here is the full picture. I wish that I could say that I made it on my own but it was a gift from someone who got it from Coach in LA. It is a good idea though if someone could use the concept for their own key chains

key_chain_1.jpg

post-10342-1243657336_thumb.jpg

I'm kind of thinking that it's a specific edge ink as well. I'm not sure which one Zach White sells, but there are several available. I don't think it's Fiebing's edge kote. It could be Fiebings edge ink. we sell Fiebings edge ink, and also a product called dri brite edge ink. both work well. But with most edgeing issues, it usually comes down to how you apply it. Leather Coatings inc. makes some pretty good edge products, but I don't know if they sell retail or not. Some of those larger companies had their own formulas developed over time, and just have a chemical company make it for them. Sorry I can't be more help! :)

Kevin

Thanks for the picture.

LCI does not do retail.

Here's my dog key chain, with Campbell Bosworth's MAtte plusin dark brown. The plus line from CB is a good product to have in your lineup. I would say that it is the most rubberized of all the edge finishes I've come across. I did three coats on the dog.

I had to cut out the dog with an exacto knife, and I didn't do a great job on sanding and burnishing the edges.

Anyone know if Weaver or anyone else can do a mallet cutting die of such an outline? I know they can do various shapes.

I've also included other photos with the matte plus, photos which show a better job of burnishing prior to the application of the matte plus.

I'm always looking for small projects to use up scraps. Certain animal silhouettes that have a bold sturdiness to them are a great idea: certain breeds of dogs and cats, maybe just the head, horses, elephants.

By the way, the plus version of this edge finish should be your only consideration.

ed

I'm kind of thinking that it's a specific edge ink as well. I'm not sure which one Zach White sells, but there are several available. I don't think it's Fiebing's edge kote. It could be Fiebings edge ink. we sell Fiebings edge ink, and also a product called dri brite edge ink. both work well. But with most edgeing issues, it usually comes down to how you apply it. Leather Coatings inc. makes some pretty good edge products, but I don't know if they sell retail or not. Some of those larger companies had their own formulas developed over time, and just have a chemical company make it for them. Sorry I can't be more help! :)

Kevin

cbedge1.jpg

cbedge2.jpg

cbedge3.jpg

cbedge4.jpg

dog4.jpg

dog5.jpg

dog2.jpg

post-853-1243803027_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803040_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803055_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803066_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803096_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803110_thumb.jpg

post-853-1243803130_thumb.jpg

I can't seem to find "Campbell Bostworth matte plus" anywhere...help?

In one of his post he said "you will have to ask for it." he also stated that he need to update

his web site.

Call up Campbell Bosworth and ask. I believe the have the dark brown matte plus in stock. I'm not sure if they have black in stock.

ed

So I just ordered some of the edging ink from Campbell Bosworth and it should be here tomorrow. From what they said this might be what I am looking for.

Thanks so much for your help with this. I hope that this is what I will need to make my edges look nice and uniform.

Your key chains are really nice. Do you sell them anywhere or are they just for fun??

marchelle

Thanks for the picture.

LCI does not do retail.

Here's my dog key chain, with Campbell Bosworth's MAtte plusin dark brown. The plus line from CB is a good product to have in your lineup. I would say that it is the most rubberized of all the edge finishes I've come across. I did three coats on the dog.

I had to cut out the dog with an exacto knife, and I didn't do a great job on sanding and burnishing the edges.

Anyone know if Weaver or anyone else can do a mallet cutting die of such an outline? I know they can do various shapes.

I've also included other photos with the matte plus, photos which show a better job of burnishing prior to the application of the matte plus.

I'm always looking for small projects to use up scraps. Certain animal silhouettes that have a bold sturdiness to them are a great idea: certain breeds of dogs and cats, maybe just the head, horses, elephants.

By the way, the plus version of this edge finish should be your only consideration.

ed

So I just ordered some of the edging ink from Campbell Bosworth and it should be here tomorrow. From what they said this might be what I am looking for.

Thanks so much for your help with this. I hope that this is what I will need to make my edges look nice and uniform.

Your key chains are really nice. Do you sell them anywhere or are they just for fun??

marchelle

That keychain was just for fun. I liked the shape of the dog key chain you put up and I'm always looking for things to do with scrap leather. Now, I'm interested in looking for other silhouettes: cat, elephant, etc.

ed