I've made some dog collars from natural veg tan, and dyed them, one with Feibing's black dye and one with Eco Flo red. I'd like to completely waterproof them so if the dog jumps in a river it doesn't end up with a multi-coloured neck! So far I've used Resolene and neutral shoe polish on them. Is this enough? Is there anything else I can use? It needs to be something I can get in the UK so please don't say Neatlac/Wyosheen/Clearlac etc! Ta!

Hello there.........

Check in the members...Ray Hatley.- Barefoot Leathers. He is located in Ludlow.

He sells some very fine waterprofing items.

Hi... If you can buy Aussies over there, it works pretty good when you apply it front and back, and set it with a little heat.

Kevin

Sno seal works good for us. We use Montana Pitch Blend on most things but anything for animals we use Sno Seal as there is a bit of pine smell that comes from the pitch blend.

If there is any way you can buy Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP I would prefer that over anything else. It barely darkens the leather and provides water proofing like you wouldn't believe. It has no silicons so it won't crack your leather over time. I use it on all my projects and I can literally dunk a piece underwater, pull it out and have the water bead right off.

I second sno-seal also the new (to my tandy store) Fiebings snow proofing paste.

But honestly, if it's going to be a daily wearer for the dog, their natural oils take over anyway. You can't control that and their oils do darken leather so it doesn't matter there.

Kevin