Sign in to follow this  
Kate

Buena vista plantation saddle

I have a good old hard seat plantation saddle that I'd like to find a home for. I bought it to overhaul - needs new rigging and panels (navy blue wool serge, stuffed with hair) and quite a bit of restitching, but it's all there, tree and major leather is sound and good. Has a pair of hooded stirrups, and mis-matched slider fenders to go on the stirrup leathers. Fits a medium wide back, with plenty of wither clearance. I think I have about eighty bucks in it, but would send it to an interested party for the cost of shipping - likely about $40 by UPS to anyplace in continental USA.

These saddles are GREAT to ride - the gaited horse folks and field trial folks love them for their walking horses. These old ones beat the heck out of the new manufactured ones.

Clearing out the shop to get into operation again.... expect more oddball listings!

Kate

Kate- do you know if it is a 17 or 19 inch saddle?

David

Kate- do you know if it is a 17 or 19 inch saddle?

David

Had to go out and measure to be sure :)

It's a 17 - measured from top of pommel to center of cantle rim, as taught by the old guy who built my hubby's custom made plantation saddle (which is on a 19 inch tree)

I don't think I have ever seen one of these oldies in a 19? must be a rare bird if you find one! I liked this one as it had a wider tree than normal - and none of our horses are a-frame or narrow :)

Kate

I've seen very few of the old ones on a 19" tree myself and I've been around a few of these saddle ( I own 3 right now). Since I already have two 17" ones and one of those is to be a rebuild project I'll pass but I must say it's a very generous offer. If the tree is good you could get about 100 for it on the bay if you want to deal with the hassle.

For anyone who may be interested the 17" saddle sits about like a 15" western saddle.

David

Yeah, I though about putting it up on that auction site - but as it is currently a big box of pieces that only a saddler would recognize :):):) I decided to offer it to people with the capability of putting in the new rig straps, stirrup leathers and putting it back together!

Offer stands to the group, pay for shipping and I'll box it up and send it to you, then YOU can make the money for a NEWLY REFURBISHED PLANTATION SADDLE! I have about fifty too many projects right now....

Kate,

These are unusual types of saddles. Would you mind posting pictures of what you have, particularly the tree? I'd be curious to see it, if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Denise

Kate,

These are unusual types of saddles. Would you mind posting pictures of what you have, particularly the tree? I'd be curious to see it, if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Denise

Ugh. Ugh. it's in a box in the shop attic right now, in pieces... If you want to see what they are like in GOOD shape, ebay number 220434557530 is a fine example that has obviously been refurbished recently - new panels, and mighty shiny :)

The one I have includes the fenders - well at least one of them is original, the other is from something else. Item 330338689691 is more like what I have - the older model, with fenders, rigged out cavalry style.

Denise, if you are interested in having the saddle, I will get it down tomorrow and shoot pics - tonight I have to get four portfolios assembles for edge lacing!

Kate

Kate,

Thanks for the offer, but it is probably not worth the effort for you right now. I won't be one to fix it up so it should go to someone who appreciates it. I was just curious about how the tree was put together. All the best in finding a good home for it!

Denise

Denise, here is a link to a tree maker who still stocks the Buena Vista tree so that you can see what the tree looks like in one.

http://www.steelesaddletreellc.com/ST.html

david

Thanks David! That is interesting. From other pictures on here of plantation saddles, I would have thought the fork was leaning back a little. Here it just looks like a fairly straight up slick fork with a different type of cantle. Is this what the old ones are like too?

Thanks David! That is interesting. From other pictures on here of plantation saddles, I would have thought the fork was leaning back a little. Here it just looks like a fairly straight up slick fork with a different type of cantle. Is this what the old ones are like too?

Hi Denise,

The older ones have a sling seat (don't know about the Steeles) which is webbing stretched from pommel to cantle, then the seat leather laid on over that - pretty much like standard english saddle, but with a deeper seat so the rider doesn't contact the tree bars so much. The real old ones are actually a lot like a cavalry officers' saddle, with the long tree bars that extend back from the cantle - I would guess the origins of the plantation "type" are closely aligned with those officers saddles, same use parameters - long days in the saddle.

There's an interesting variation on the plantation saddle, the Minihan, that fascinates me - good images on Gloria's site, http://www.4beatstitchery.com/. I had a very old and very fragile Minihan that I sent to her - I was never going to get anything done to resurrect it, and it was just too nice to let it rot.

Thanks for the information Kate. In looking at the pictures on that site, I am always amazed by the variety within even one type of saddle.

Did the original webbed seat saddles have wooden forks and cantles like the Steele trees or were they metal like the Trooper saddles?

From what I've seen...The suspended seat didn't take hold in the buena Vista saddles until the 20th century. Before that they were mostly hard slick seats like a western saddle and even when the suspended seats (with the webbing straps) became popular the hard seats still were put into about half the Buena Vistas. Personally, I prefer the hard seats as they seem to ride better to me. I have two old hard seat Buena Vistas and one suspended seat one and the suspended seat is padded, the only one of the saddles I've had the least bit of discomfort in is the suspended seat one.

Hope this helps

David

I emailed you about this. I would love to have the saddle if the offer still stands.

You have a private email.

Kate

I have a good old hard seat plantation saddle that I'd like to find a home for. I bought it to overhaul - needs new rigging and panels (navy blue wool serge, stuffed with hair) and quite a bit of restitching, but it's all there, tree and major leather is sound and good. Has a pair of hooded stirrups, and mis-matched slider fenders to go on the stirrup leathers. Fits a medium wide back, with plenty of wither clearance. I think I have about eighty bucks in it, but would send it to an interested party for the cost of shipping - likely about $40 by UPS to anyplace in continental USA.

These saddles are GREAT to ride - the gaited horse folks and field trial folks love them for their walking horses. These old ones beat the heck out of the new manufactured ones.

Clearing out the shop to get into operation again.... expect more oddball listings!

Kate

Do you still have this saddle? I like this type and would be interested in it, if you still have it.

Thanks!

Judy

Kate

Kate; if this saddle is still available I would love to entertain its presence in my shop?

I still have it - though it's stuck up in shop "attic" and I'd have to go find it again and make sure all the pieces are still there :)

How about we take this to PM and I'll let you know when i know if it's still all there after near three years ?

Kate; if this saddle is still available I would love to entertain its presence in my shop?