GDouglass

Cobra, Ferdco, Cowboy..?

Hello everyone,

I'm a student down here at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas and I'm interested in purchasing a heavy-duty leather sewing machine. I have been doing my research for the past couple of months and working on getting the funds together to buy a good, solid machine the FIRST time. I have read just about all (or what I managed to find) of the threads posted about sewing machines and choices. I build everything from thin bracelets to heavy harness leather saddle bags and also do some saddle repairs, so I am planning on buying a machine with the capability to do all these jobs and more, should I eventually get into actually building saddles. I have only used a sewing machine a number of times, but I feel confident in my ability to learn and handle a large machine relatively quickly after reading the numerous posts of people new to leather sewing machine usage and their quick learning. I have also learned a lot from these posts about the fundamental questions to ask yourself when purchasing a machine, so I am hopefully pointing in the right direction in terms of a good machine. While here, I'd like to point out the merit I put in the opinions and advice of such members as Art and Wiz as well, so I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice and guidance.

With that being said, I have managed to narrow my options down to three: CB or Cowboy, Cobra, and Ferdco. I am definitely not opposed to other machines that may possibly suit me better, though.

I just left a message with Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines asking about the CB4500 and its pricing, so I don't know exactly what the price range on it is, but it seems that many people have spoken very highly of this machine.

I also have heard some good things about the Ferdco Pro 1010 machine and it's priced at $1995.00 for a complete unit. A saddle shop here in town uses these and said good things.

Lastly, I have read more posts than I can count about the superb customer service and machine capabilities of the Cobra Class 4 machine. Priced at $2495.00, it's getting into the highest range of my budget, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending that money if it's truly the best machine.

Can those of you with experience with any or all of these machines please give me some advice and tell me the pros and cons? Also, please feel free to point me in a different direction if you feel there is a better machine for around $2500 or so.

Lastly, I have a used Singer 241 that was built in 1942 (give or take a year or two) that I swapped for. From what I understand, it was used to sew boot tops with the previous owner, but when I got it, the timing was off and it wouldn't catch the bobbin thread. After many hours of watching Youtube videos, making some phone calls, and taking the head of the machine apart, I got the timing set correctly and was ready to begin sewing. Being new to the sewing machine world, I was told that this machine would sew "wallet and belt weight leather" without too much of a problem. But, after spending the money to get the proper needles and thread for the machine, I was terribly disappointed to find that the belt slipped and the needles were breaking when trying to sew two 4oz layers of leather together. What is the maximum thickness this machine is capable of sewing? Also, when I push the pedal, it stitches a lot faster than I want it to. What can I do to fix or combat these problems?

Thank you very much,

Grady

Edited by GDouglass

.........So many sewing machines so many choices on heavy duty stichers.

I m h o. i would contac Weaver Leather and buy an Adler 205-370.........

as far as your singer.... thake it to Bryan, if there is a sewing machine service person

and get it fixed proper, if there is not one there take it to Houston.

I recently bought the CB 3500 from Bob. I'm quite the stitching machine novice myself, but we're getting along very well, and I gain more comfort and confidence with it every day.

I remember the 4500 sitting next to it, and passed on it because I didn't think I could get it in my car.......seriously, I just don't need an arm that long.....the 3500 fits me just fine.

From what I understand, the CB 4500 and the Cobra Class 4 are basically the same machine, but again, I'm a novice, so what do I know?

Good luck.......hook em Horns!!

.........So many sewing machines so many choices on heavy duty stichers.

I m h o. i would contac Weaver Leather and buy an Adler 205-370.........

as far as your singer.... thake it to Bryan, if there is a sewing machine service person

and get it fixed proper, if there is not one there take it to Houston.

Thanks Luke! I appreciate the info. I'll look into the Adler and see about taking my machine somewhere around my neck of the woods.

-Grady-

I recently bought the CB 3500 from Bob. I'm quite the stitching machine novice myself, but we're getting along very well, and I gain more comfort and confidence with it every day.

I remember the 4500 sitting next to it, and passed on it because I didn't think I could get it in my car.......seriously, I just don't need an arm that long.....the 3500 fits me just fine.

From what I understand, the CB 4500 and the Cobra Class 4 are basically the same machine, but again, I'm a novice, so what do I know?

Good luck.......hook em Horns!!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear about you and that machine getting along well. I think I'll be in the same boat with you in terms of "novice sewing machine" user. From what I found, the Cobra Class 4 and the CB 4500 ARE very similar, but I wasn't completely sure. Thanks for your input.. Gig 'Em! haha

I spoke to Weaver's the Adler was out of my budget. Then the guy from Cobra had sent me numerous pm's. He seemed a little sketchy. I purchased a used Cowboy 3500 from a amish neighbor, to replace my old singer. It sews everything, I throw it at. I'm very pleased. I don't get comment much. But, I'm surprised at this newer machine. James

What was that Adler going for?... I'm glad to hear about the success you're having with the CB 3500. The only reason I'm thinking of the 4500 is the future possibility of needing the longer arm. Thanks again!

I received my CB 4500 early this month and could not be happier. I don't know anything about the cobras, but it looks like they are the same class and capability.

Mine was set up and run before being shipped to me and still had a needle, wound bobbin and top thread, from test runs, then taken apart and shipped to me. The sample stitches were impressive and I overstitched them all to verify they sew on this machine. Much thicker than I intend to sew.

After getting the machine I also talked with Bob, and he knows his singers and is helping me with my older 111w155 and 31-15, to reach their optimum operation. Ask him about your singer, but don't spend time learning that piece of Iron, just get the right machine and learn it.

I have a singer 231 that also runs away and hides on me. A servo motor and/ gear reducer WILL help, but again why bother, just get the right machine, Now!

Kevin

I received my CB 4500 early this month and could not be happier. I don't know anything about the cobras, but it looks like they are the same class and capability.

Mine was set up and run before being shipped to me and still had a needle, wound bobbin and top thread, from test runs, then taken apart and shipped to me. The sample stitches were impressive and I overstitched them all to verify they sew on this machine. Much thicker than I intend to sew.

After getting the machine I also talked with Bob, and he knows his singers and is helping me with my older 111w155 and 31-15, to reach their optimum operation. Ask him about your singer, but don't spend time learning that piece of Iron, just get the right machine and learn it.

I have a singer 231 that also runs away and hides on me. A servo motor and/ gear reducer WILL help, but again why bother, just get the right machine, Now!

Kevin

Kevin,

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it! It's also nice to hear that the folks with the CB machines set everything up and run it before you get it. I'd imagine other places do that as well, but I'm not sure. Sounds like Bob is taking care of you. That's a great selling point! The only reason I've been curious to get the old Singer going correctly would be to sew some boot tops in the future. I've been contemplating going to a boot making school to learn the trade and add another set of skills. Thanks again. Your advice is very helpful.

Well after looking back through the forums, I saw two more posts asking very much the same question as I am and LOTS of replies and comments. I'll keep an eye on those other posts, but I'm still deciding what machine I'd like to get. It's narrowed down to the CB4500 and the Cobra Class 4. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and go from there. Please feel free to continue posting comments and giving advice - every bit of it is greatly appreciated.

-Grady-

Hello everyone,

I'm a student down here at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas and I'm interested in purchasing a heavy-duty leather sewing machine. I have been doing my research for the past couple of months and working on getting the funds together to buy a good, solid machine the FIRST time. I have read just about all (or what I managed to find) of the threads posted about sewing machines and choices. I build everything from thin bracelets to heavy harness leather saddle bags and also do some saddle repairs, so I am planning on buying a machine with the capability to do all these jobs and more, should I eventually get into actually building saddles. I have only used a sewing machine a number of times, but I feel confident in my ability to learn and handle a large machine relatively quickly after reading the numerous posts of people new to leather sewing machine usage and their quick learning. I have also learned a lot from these posts about the fundamental questions to ask yourself when purchasing a machine, so I am hopefully pointing in the right direction in terms of a good machine. While here, I'd like to point out the merit I put in the opinions and advice of such members as Art and Wiz as well, so I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice and guidance.

With that being said, I have managed to narrow my options down to three: CB or Cowboy, Cobra, and Ferdco. I am definitely not opposed to other machines that may possibly suit me better, though.

I just left a message with Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines asking about the CB4500 and its pricing, so I don't know exactly what the price range on it is, but it seems that many people have spoken very highly of this machine.

I also have heard some good things about the Ferdco Pro 1010 machine and it's priced at $1995.00 for a complete unit. A saddle shop here in town uses these and said good things.

Lastly, I have read more posts than I can count about the superb customer service and machine capabilities of the Cobra Class 4 machine. Priced at $2495.00, it's getting into the highest range of my budget, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending that money if it's truly the best machine.

Can those of you with experience with any or all of these machines please give me some advice and tell me the pros and cons? Also, please feel free to point me in a different direction if you feel there is a better machine for around $2500 or so.

Lastly, I have a used Singer 241 that was built in 1942 (give or take a year or two) that I swapped for. From what I understand, it was used to sew boot tops with the previous owner, but when I got it, the timing was off and it wouldn't catch the bobbin thread. After many hours of watching Youtube videos, making some phone calls, and taking the head of the machine apart, I got the timing set correctly and was ready to begin sewing. Being new to the sewing machine world, I was told that this machine would sew "wallet and belt weight leather" without too much of a problem. But, after spending the money to get the proper needles and thread for the machine, I was terribly disappointed to find that the belt slipped and the needles were breaking when trying to sew two 4oz layers of leather together. What is the maximum thickness this machine is capable of sewing? Also, when I push the pedal, it stitches a lot faster than I want it to. What can I do to fix or combat these problems?

Thank you very much,

Grady

I live about 25 miles east of you in Richards.....I have an old singer 31-15 with a roller foot. It was running when I quit using it about 10 years ago. You can have it if you want...just come and pick it up.

I live about 25 miles east of you in Richards.....I have an old singer 31-15 with a roller foot. It was running when I quit using it about 10 years ago. You can have it if you want...just come and pick it up.

Wow, thanks!! I'll be more than happy to take that off your hands. I appreciate it!

-Grady-

I think you will find that the Cowboy machines are of the highest quality and will hold up against the standards of any of the other manufacturers and dealers on this forum. Bob Kovar is one of the biggest dealers that we have, and had been selling the Cowboy line for a very long time now. Bob is also excellent regarding customer service and he does a very good job of preparing our machines for resale.

Bob also has a very deep knowledge of the older machines made by the big names like Singer, Adler, and the like. He is a very good source of knowldege on these machines and what they were made for, as well as what they will do, and whether or not parts are still made for them.

If you have any questions on our machines, or would like some additional info on them before making your purchase, please feel free to call or e-mail.

G'Day Grady,

No doubt you've now had more info than you can poke a stick at.

It took a long time for me to decide which machine to buy, but once I bought it, I was happy as a pig in...'you know what' .

My machine is a 'Colt' by 'Q'Stitch in Queensland Australia, similar to the Cobra Class, or 4500 etc.

Heres a pic of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/4111321665/

I was a bit nervous when I first started sewing on it,

( because the only other machine I used before that is a Pfaff 60...it was quite a leap forward ) .

But the more I sewed on it, the more I learnt, and the more confident I became.

It has since adopted a nickname ' Brutus ', it's just a silly reference I made once , and it has somehow stuck.

I have broken a few needles when I was learning, but thats only because of the operator (me) not the machine.

I keep it well serviced, clean, and oiled up , and I always keep it and my threads covered up when not in use ( it gets dusty where I live ) .

I find my machine forever reliable, and no doubt the other machines simliar to mine are just as reliable.

Look after them and they'll look after you.

Good luck with your purchase and happy sewing.

All the best,

HS:thumbsup:

I think you will find that the Cowboy machines are of the highest quality and will hold up against the standards of any of the other manufacturers and dealers on this forum. Bob Kovar is one of the biggest dealers that we have, and had been selling the Cowboy line for a very long time now. Bob is also excellent regarding customer service and he does a very good job of preparing our machines for resale.

Bob also has a very deep knowledge of the older machines made by the big names like Singer, Adler, and the like. He is a very good source of knowldege on these machines and what they were made for, as well as what they will do, and whether or not parts are still made for them.

If you have any questions on our machines, or would like some additional info on them before making your purchase, please feel free to call or e-mail.

Great. Thanks a lot for the information. I've got it narrowed down to the CB4500 and I've talked to Bob a couple of times now. Hopefully I can make the purchase today. It's reassuring to hear more good things about these machines. Thanks again.

G'Day Grady,

No doubt you've now had more info than you can poke a stick at.

It took a long time for me to decide which machine to buy, but once I bought it, I was happy as a pig in...'you know what' .

My machine is a 'Colt' by 'Q'Stitch in Queensland Australia, similar to the Cobra Class, or 4500 etc.

Heres a pic of it:

http://www.flickr.co...N05/4111321665/

I was a bit nervous when I first started sewing on it,

( because the only other machine I used before that is a Pfaff 60...it was quite a leap forward ) .

But the more I sewed on it, the more I learnt, and the more confident I became.

It has since adopted a nickname ' Brutus ', it's just a silly reference I made once , and it has somehow stuck.

I have broken a few needles when I was learning, but thats only because of the operator (me) not the machine.

I keep it well serviced, clean, and oiled up , and I always keep it and my threads covered up when not in use ( it gets dusty where I live ) .

I find my machine forever reliable, and no doubt the other machines simliar to mine are just as reliable.

Look after them and they'll look after you.

Good luck with your purchase and happy sewing.

All the best,

HS:thumbsup:

Handstitched,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me some advice and voice your opinions over these machines. As you said, I have done plenty of research and hear more info than I can probably process, but I feel like it's all led me in the right direction. I'll definitely take a look at the machine you mentioned before I make a purchase and see what it's all about. Thanks again! Gig 'Em :)

-Grady-