I am crafting a full archery set for my daughter for Christmas gifts. The results of my first attempt at an arm guard are included here below.

Let me know your thoughts... I know I have a lot to learn, and I could make things better if I had all of the right tools...

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Cheers,

Rich

post-39495-0-76029900-1386121985_thumb.j

post-39495-0-64539300-1386121988_thumb.j

post-39495-0-64020400-1386121991_thumb.j

post-39495-0-03413600-1386121995_thumb.j

post-39495-0-91473800-1386121998_thumb.j

I should probably have added a little more detail.

This was made with veg-tanned 2mm belly leather for the outside and pad. The pad area has a smaller ellipse of suede which was used on the interior to create a padding area for string slap. I don't have a skiving knife, so I didn't quite get the pad as thin as I would have liked on the outer edges, especially the back where the string will approach from - so I hope that works out. I reinforced the lacing edges with a strip of the same leather and used Bards cement and eyelets to lock them together. The pad and perimeter stitching are saddle stitched with Tandy 1.2mm waxed nylon thread. The interior is lined with 2mm suede, which was contact cemented down and stitched around the perimeter. To snug up the arm guard - I plan on using shock cord and a quick release slide to facilitate easy on/off fitting. The images above I had laced some green para-cord, but it is too thick, and slow for lacing up and down.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Rich

That looks like really good work, especially if you're just getting back into things after a few decades away. Impressive and attractive!

Edited by bearandtheraven