HippieLee

You Folks Are Inspirational!

Not quite a year ago I decided I wanted to make my own sporran so I searched out leather-working advice and joined up at this site and have been reading it ever since. But since I finally made a couple posts I figured I ought to say "Howdy".

Right up front I want to thank you all for the advice and help you so freely give here - I've seen so many things I never would have imagined I could do and now I can not only imagine them, sometimes I manage to not screw them up too badly!

Now that I've made my sporran and a few other small projects I feel a LITTLE more comfortable posting here and look forward to learning from y'all every day.

I'm also pretty lucky to have a Tandy store nearby with a couple of guys who love teaching and aren't afraid to tell me when to buy stuff somewhere else and will not only tell me what I did wrong but show me how to do it right.

My wife and daughter have a long list of stuff for me to make now so I'll be leaning on you guys a lot lol. Thanks again!

Welcome

Welcome, and glad we can help. That's the whole idea of this site.

Welcome, And your right, this is the best leather place on the net. ask away were all here to help one another !

Please excuse my ignorance But, i'm not quite sure just what a sporran might be ??

At any rate WELCOME !!!

A sporran is the pouch men wear with their kilts because kilts have no pockets. They come in a dizzying array of designs and varying degrees of formality from plain leather day-wear to full mask animal faces to silver cantled, long-haired formal dress. The first I made is this:

sporran 2

sporran 1

sporran 3

I also made a belt for it but I don't have a picture of it - which is fine as I don't like it and will re-make it soon anyway lol. You have a member here who does spectacular sporrans - Wyvern is an inspiration.

Wow! That sporran is Really Really Nice.

YOU have learned a lot! Well done!

Thank you kindly Cheryl - I hope to keep getting better and better and I know I'm in the right place for that. :-)

Hippie, Thank you for your explanation of what a sporran actually is.

I had never heard that word or name. I'll try to remember it.

Your piece is a great work, congratulations !

I don't were a kilt , but I would be happy to ware that.

You're welcome Bill and Thank you! I generally wear it using the D-rings with the belt I made just for that but the extra loop in the back is good for putting it on a belt and wearing it as a hip pouch. Here's me at the highland games in February:

x1g8pd.jpg