Avion

My 2Nd Attempt With A Roper Wallet

A friend wanted a Roper style wallet, so hare it is. I think I am improving but there are still glitches here and there, hopefully one of these days I'll get one without any! I also have a question about stitching...down by the left hand corner I ran out of thread, so according Al Stohlmans book I tied off, reloaded the needles, and started 3 stitches behind the last stitch to continue, but that makes those stitches more chunky and it really stands out. Am I understanding correctly this procedure? Is there any way to get rid of that chunky look?post-60097-0-15540700-1429371020_thumb.jpost-60097-0-27620800-1429371038_thumb.j

Overall it looks pretty good. something that will help with your carving is picking up a modelling spoon and going over your beveling with it, it will really smooth it out.

Unfortunately, with the thread, not really much you can do other then try to guesstimate how much you need so you don't run out. The double threads will show up but if you are getting close to running out, you can always try to end off/start with new thread in an area that won't be as noticeable. One thing I do (not sure if it's right or not) is when I end off, I end both on what would be the inside so that when you are looking at the main part, you don't see the thread end. Just personal preference but it looks little neater.

Thanks Halitech....all good advice which I will heed! After getting it stitched, I actually thought of doin exactly what you mentioned about ending with the thread inside....I guess that would kind of be like a half stitch?

pretty much as you would only bring the thread from the front to the back to hide it. Basically there wouldn't be as much to hold it but you don't end up with the frayed end out front

Usually I "measure" the circumference of an object and make the thread 4 times as long just to avoid the fact that I might have to end and restart.

Some parts should be dyed before you put them together. It would make the slots look nicer. For whatever reason I don't even think that the walking marks are disturbing here. That may just be my impression, but it looks like you are not pulling equally on the thread and the stitches look a little uneven to me.