Sign in to follow this  
ruthless

Does Skiving Weaken A Piece Of Leather?

I buy 6mm sides of bridle leather. I'd like some 3mm leather for certain pieces. If I skive my thick stuff will it be weaker than a hide that's 3mm thick to begin with?

Also, how come some sides are thicker than others?

RUTHLESS;;FOR THE MOST PART ,THINNER LEATHER WILL BE WEEKER..THE LEATHER YOU BUY WILL BE GRADED (8-9 ) or (3-4) EXC'' GET THE IDEA,,LEATHER IS NOT A MADE ITEM AND WILL VERY SOME WHAT...ALTHOU'' SOME TANNERIES DO BETTER THAN OTHERS ,THE BELLY WILL BE THINER THAN THE BACK,,SO IF YOU BUY A SIDE THERE MAY BE SOME CHANGE BACK TO BELLY ,THAT IS WHY THEY OFFER DIFF' CUTS ...HOPE THAT HELPS ...if you skive a piece you should get the same results as thiner leather all else beening the same...thats why we have skiving machinery.....Doc...

Edited by terrahyd

I buy 6mm sides of bridle leather. I'd like some 3mm leather for certain pieces. If I skive my thick stuff will it be weaker than a hide that's 3mm thick to begin with?

Also, how come some sides are thicker than others?

Ruth, where do you get 6mm bridle from and is it english leather?

Tony.

Ruth, where do you get 6mm bridle from and is it english leather?

Tony.

Yeah, Wickett and Craig sides from Birdsalls.

Yeah, Wickett and Craig sides from Birdsalls.

So it isn't english leather strictly speaking, it is made in USA in the english style. Is it nice and firm?

Tony.

So it isn't english leather strictly speaking, it is made in USA in the english style.

Tony.

Their website http://www.wickett-craig.com will give you a history of their operations for 140 years. At some point I will make the trip there & purchase some really good leather.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Yeah, it's pretty firm. I can send you a small sample if you want? Although Birdsalls probably would too.

I'm still not 100% clear on the skiving though. If I buy a side of leather that's 3mm thick is it stronger than skiving a 6mm piece down to 3mm?

Edited by ruthless