jk215

How To Properly Store Unused Leather?

Im looking into buying my first "back" of english bridle and wondering how I should be storing unused portions? I know its already oiled and probably doesnt dry out as much as the tooling leather but just making sure. Thanks!

Ooooh, good question! Subscribed ;0)

There's another thread on here some where that discusses the same subject, or something very similar. For my self though, if the amount of left over leather I have is small enough I'll ussually roll it up (flesh side out) and slide it into a long cylindical shipping tube for posters / blue prints. If you go into a Fed Ex store you can ussually get their triangular tubes for free but those tend to be shorter in length. If I have the left over leather that is too long for a poster tube I'll ussually roll the leather, tie it with string and then wrap the rolled leather in paper (to keep the dust off).

I store the rolled leather vertically in a milk crate, to keep them from falling over. All the leather I purchase / use is latigo and pretty thick (8-11 oz) and this has worked for me thus far. Hope that helps or at least gives you some idea...

I bet a carpet tube or vinyl flooring tube from home depot or similar place and a hack saw would make a nice tube to store leather in.

I use cardboard concrete forms from home depot, come in different diameter from 5 inch to 1 foot

I use cardboard concrete forms from home depot, come in different diameter from 5 inch to 1 foot

That is a good idea. The extra diameter would provide the needed flexibility for different stiffness's of leather